does this matter?

hd1903

i'm gonna buy a nice card and all, to record bands(s) i'm in. i'm real new to this but if i'm deaf in one ear, does that matter. most of what i hear will come from the monitors and can turn my head to hear both better. if i use the headphones for when i'm recording i can play it mono? does this sound about right.

i'm gonna do it anyways but just want a heads up now since i don't know exactly how to go through the recording motions, i might be missing a correct way to do something that will require stereo hearing. i don't think i'll be mastering.

thanks

Well, I suppose you could probably track alright, set levels and such, but I would think it would be very difficult to mix to a stereo or other multichannel format (e.g., 5.1 surround). If only one ear works you will miss much of the interaction between the two channels and are apt to make improper mixing decisions.

i'm gonna record anyway, i'm a drummer and can write some stuff on guitar to. i wanna record for the purpose of reference for the band and, to make our demo's.

do i need to use headphones in any part of recording and mixing, i would guess i don't need to. i won't need 5.1 or anything, just stereo. i'm not really going to do anything crazy with switching back and forth l/r speakers. just the basic band in stereo and occasional fade or whatever to the right or left for certain guitar parts.

with just monitors playing i think i'll be ok, just gonna take alittle longer. what do i know though, i'm a newbie.

i'm gonna do it though, my one ear is a good ear. lol

Go for it, mix it yourself, then mix it with someone else. It will never hurt to have someone with you sitting behind you... ask them, how does that sound.. levels/balance. 2nd opinions are always good ;)

Porter

Hi Hd 1903,
I`m an old codger and have been deaf in one ear since Iwas 13. I`ve played in bands and now run a small garage studio with some pretty good results and comments from musicians of all ages. You learn to listen to mixes ect in a different way and learn what people expect from you.
Just go for it and I`m sure with a bit of trail and error you`ll come up with the goods.
Good luck,
Rob.

I agree...!

Good for you making a decision like this!

I'd say just from my knowledge of hearing 3 things:

1) Protect that last ear like it was your diamond wedding ring... If you're going to mix, mix at lower volumes and be carefull... I'd say one ear would tend to get fatigued quicker than two...

2) Don't track, then try to master in the same night... I find that a hard day of tracking really seems to "dull" my ears if I try to do something really technical at the end of a recording session...

3) Get other people's opinions and grow a REALLY thick skin!!! Let other people tell you exactly what they think of your music... Listen to their comments and augment your mixing style so that if you can't hear it - you can "mimic" it in the studio to get that final sound...
(Hope that makes sense)...

Good Luck and hope things work out for you!!!

Back