Does this floorplan look ok? Advice, tips...

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Hey there,
a number of factors have contributed to me having to stay in my basement with the humble homerecording studio for now.
The basement is small, and fully carpeted (no hardwood floors) and poses some physical challenges (odd shape), but its what I got and what I will have to work with for awhile to come.
Attached is a floorplan I quickly drew.
A few things
-the treadmill, washer, dryer, green couch and TV have to stay where they're at.
-there is a window right in front of the mixing desk

Now
1) I know the mixing position isnt ideal, and that the room is odd shaped. What kind of issues should I expect when mixing in the position shown?
2) Is tracking drums in a corner going to be a problem? How could I treat that corner acoustically to make up for this?
3) Are the bass traps on the drawing sufficient, and/or placed correctly?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• studio floorplan.JPG
    studio floorplan.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 109
Mike,

I'm just gettin' started myself and need a lot of help planning my strategy for a basement studio. Where did you find those cool icons (drums, guitars, etc)?

Allright, I figured I would get these kind of responses. I know you want to shoot down the long direction, but I really would like to keep it the way it is in the drawing because there is a window in front of me.
I guess I can sacrifice cool looks for good sound:p
Are there any other difficulties I can expect with the odd shaped room? How bout tracking drums in a corner? Do I need treatment in the corner behind the drums, or even a cloud above the drums?

Mike

Clouds are ever welcome! (and depending of the room size/problematic peaks, I advice you the "the thicker the better" thing).I have two 10" above my mix position.Better than 2" or 4" (I had before), probably worst than 16"...:D
On drums it rocks!Better is with a hard floor,you know...

At least in theory you should have problems with your lack of symetry in the front wall (control room).Bass traps can help (and you´ll need a lot, sitting here or there...) but you never will have the same L/R speakers bass response.It causes a bad stereo image.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Last edited:
Is there any specific positions where I should put the bass traps other than on all 4 corners? (with the mix position against the back wall as suggested by most of you, firing in the long position)
Also, the whole room is carpented, and I have low ceilings. I cant go hardwood.

Mike

Allright, I figured I would get these kind of responses. I know you want to shoot down the long direction, but I really would like to keep it the way it is in the drawing because there is a window in front of me.
I guess I can sacrifice cool looks for good sound:p
Are there any other difficulties I can expect with the odd shaped room? How bout tracking drums in a corner? Do I need treatment in the corner behind the drums, or even a cloud above the drums?

Mike
It's either window in front, window to side, or no window. The screen will be infornt of the window as it is now, but with mine it will be to the side, so you will have a clear view through.

Drums are not good in a corner. I'd move the drums, or treat around them. I'd install a cloud above them too.

this may or may not help, but have you considered a 'wall' of gobos along the right side of the mixing desk if you keep it facing the window?

this may or may not help, but have you considered a 'wall' of gobos along the right side of the mixing desk if you keep it facing the window?
That's a good idea, but reduces the mixing area. It basically splits the room. It would also make it extremely dead, etc.

Its decided, I'll swap the position and fire down the long way.
Now to start buildling a desk and getting some bass traps ready.
Is 4" good enough for the corners?

Mike

Yep, I'd put the console where the red couch is to get all the walls as far away as possible.

Ignore this advice. Go with pandamonk's advice. Ethan has a good explanation on his website with why it's best to position the console on the short wall, not the long wall.

Back