Does the order of effects matter?

StupidKid

Just curious as to what is the preferred way to run effects. like is it supposed to go, compressor -> eq ->reverb orrr... just curious as to what works the best

It does matter. I don't know how much.

If you put reverb before compression, then the reverb signal will be compressed. If you put comp before reverb, the comp will be reverbed.

Try plugging a guitar into a wah pedal and then into a Big Muff.

Then do Big Muff before the wah.

There will be a difference. Probably not so radical as the difference between comp and reverb, but there nonetheless.

StupidKid said:
Just curious as to what is the preferred way to run effects. like is it supposed to go, compressor -> eq ->reverb orrr... just curious as to what works the best
I have always played around with different ways of setting up. There are many schools of thought on this. I've seen arguments that say that you put time affecting effects (like delay) on your chain last, others that say they should go first. I think it's dependant on what sound you are trying to accomplish. But then again, I am for minimal effects: distortion, reverb, sometimes chorus, or simple delay. I don't like to wash my sound in effects unless it adds to the sound.

The chain makes a HUGE difference in what you're trying to do... You just have to think it out and/or experiment with it.

For instance - EQ and compression - *Corrective* EQ (rumble removal, tubbiness, sibilance, plosives, etc.) should be removed before compression. You don't want the compressor to react to something that won't be there later. *Shaping* EQ ("air" or mild bass boost) generally comes after compression.

Of course, there are exceptions...

And on something more tangible like reverb and distortion - Think about driving distortion into a reverb unit. Not good. It won't sound much like reverb after it's all distorted.

i even got my units set up in my rack this way:

on top of my rack i got my rackrider to give Power to everything,
then my two patchbays,
then compressors
then channel strips and Eqs
then reverb and distortion units,
on the bottom there's my soundcard

i do have some gates, they should come on top, above the compressors,
but since i only use them in rare occasions i keep this in the bottom too

:D

Massive Master said:
For instance - EQ and compression - *Corrective* EQ (rumble removal, tubbiness, sibilance, plosives, etc.) should be removed before compression.QUOTE]

thanks alot for the info, so would this help with getting rid of some spikes when im mixing my drums, because i sometimes get spikes when i do a rimshot on the snare even after compression

Once you experiment with the order of things you will quickly realize how huge of an effect it has on everything.

Back