Does size(length) really matter?

Top Jimmy

I have decided to mix down to Hi Fi VCR after much thought and reading about it back on the home page. Also a friend of mine who cut a country album a few years ago told me that they actually mixed down to VCR in the studio he was in. Mostly because of cost issue from 2 inch tape.

Anyway. I would like to keep the VCR with my stereo which is in the room next to my studio. That way can mix down to it and be able to play it back throught the stereo and make cassettes right away. So if I make a RCA cable thats 20 ft long am I going to be loosing away sound quality simply from the length of cable? It would be much easier then moving the VCR back and forth.

Thanks in advance

The general rule for cables is: shorter cable=less signal degradation.
If you absolutely must use 20 foot cables make sure they are the highest quality.
"Mogami" makes pro-quality cables.

[This message has been edited by hixmix (edited 02-29-2000).]

Yeah, don't "make" a cable 20' long, buy a good one. Another idea is to go through the wall, if possible. In either case, though, it won't work in the long run unless you also buy one of those Powermid things to send the infrared signals to the VCR through the wall to turn it on/off etc. as you will get tired of running back and forth. Once you've spent almost as much as a VCR on the Powermid, you will be wondering why you didn't just mix down to your computer and burn CDs while you're at it!

Hey Top Jimmy,

I have the same situation, only I have to run fifty feet of cable from my studio in the garage, to my computer in the living room, to make mp3s.

I had to couple two twenty five foot stereo cables together. I notice a slight amount of hum, not to bad really, I can only hear it with no music playing, and the volume on my mixer way up.

Check out my mp3 in mp3 clinic, it was done in this way.

High quality cables are pretty expensive! VCR's are cheap.
Monster 21 foot Studio Pro cable 149.95 X 2= $299.90
A Hi-Fi VCR is only about $200.00.....

Of course, you could probably get by with a lesser cable. Just keep in mind that a second VCR may cheaper in the long run, especially if you buy even $100 worth of cable and find that it's not acceptable.

Sure wish I was Ken Webber and didnt have to worry about what all this stuff costs!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep moving the VCR back and forth till I can afford the CD-R burner. This of course only works if my kid isnt watching Barney.

Oh man, don't let your kid watch Barney.
Don't you know that Barney is evil?
Do the math...

1) Start with:

CUTE PURPLE DINOSAUR

2) Change all U's to V's (which is proper Latin anyway)

CVTE PVRPLE DINOSAVR

3) Extract all Roman Numerals:

C V V L D I V

4) Convert into Arabic values:

100 5 5 50 500 1 5

5) Add all the numbers:

666 :)

Hey,

I use Radio Shack cables. I think it came to about fifty bucks for fifty feet of sheilded stereo cable, couplers, and adapters, and taxes.

Back