Does it make sense to use tube gear on overheads?!

jmproductions

Since it's increasing popularity over the last few years, manufacturers would have us believe that tubes make everything sound better. From what I have gathered (in practice and research) about the tube sound is that it is a coloration of distortion that can bring about a silky smooth, pleasing or sometimes called dark overtones to a signal. Some have even said that it can appear to reduce high end frequency response in some lower end gear.

So I guess the question is are a lot of folks using mics, preamps, and compressors with tubes in the gain stages for recording things like cymbals where upper frequency precision and definition is more important to project realism?

I am sure that there are plenty of you out there who would swear by a particular tube preamp in any tracking situation, but I have a feeling that there will be folks on both sides of this issue. I am interested anyone who feels like voicing an opinion. Talk amongst yourselves...

Although i do not own a tube, nor have i ever heard one (that i know of) but a friend of myne who owns a studio just bought one and he says that it's great. the only thing about tubes is that they will break REALLY EASY, so if you use some as overheads, make sure that there gonna stay up there.

ZEKE
"Relax, it's only for tonight!"

Well, it all depends.:D
Does it sound good? Then use it!
Hell, I use a Distortion on my snare sometimes (Hehehe a little secret) and I have even used distortion on my toms before.

Try everything out.

Tim

jmproductions said:
Since it's increasing popularity over the last few years, manufacturers would have us believe that tubes make everything sound better. From what I have gathered (in practice and research) about the tube sound is that it is a coloration of distortion that can bring about a silky smooth, pleasing or sometimes called dark overtones to a signal. Some have even said that it can appear to reduce high end frequency response in some lower end gear.

So I guess the question is are a lot of folks using mics, preamps, and compressors with tubes in the gain stages for recording things like cymbals where upper frequency precision and definition is more important to project realism?

I am sure that there are plenty of you out there who would swear by a particular tube preamp in any tracking situation, but I have a feeling that there will be folks on both sides of this issue. I am interested anyone who feels like voicing an opinion. Talk amongst yourselves...

I tend to stay away from my tube preamp on my overheads due to noise and those 'dark overtones' that you talk about.....I tend to lean towards a more 'accurate' preamp sound for the overheads.

a little tube works great on the kick, though

First of all - unless you're talking about tube gear costing in the 3-4K range, there's really no point in worrying about it....

On the budget side of things, you're really dealing with "faux tube", which, while it may color the sound a bit, is HARDLY representative of a properly-designed tube sound....

Back