Does humidity have anything to do with the amt of oxide the tape sheds?

kartikbala

Hi fellow analog-ers,

I've noticed that everytime i record on my Fostex R8, it sheds huge copious amounts of oxide; so much so that I feel compelled to clean the heads after just one or two songs recorded. Is this a normal phenomenon, or cld it be because I live in Singapore whe3re the humidity is close to 150% on a good day! :o

Thanks!

Kartik

If the binder is not moisture proof then yes, humidity could have an effect on your tape.

I would contact your tape manufacturer and ask that question.

You're only cleaning your heads after one or two songs?

I clean mine after one or two takes. Actually closer to five or six takes, but you are not cleaning your heads enough. That may be why you think you are experiencing a lot of shed.

I use Quantegy 456, so I guess the QC on those tapes shld be pretty good.

You clean after 5 takes???? Oh maan.....Never realised that we have to clean that often! Anyway, that shall be the way from now onwards! :)

Thanks Sennh!

That's the same tape I use. I clean so often that I really don't see any shed.

I'd still contact Quantegy with yor question for some peace of mind.

Well I just bought it last month. I guess the current monsoon season we're having is screwing everything to bits....I just hope I dont find fungus growin on my tapes :(

Thanks for all the help guys...

Kartik

I've only come across really heavy shedding on old tapes which have been stored in less than ideal conditions. This thread might help you in your search for an answer.

Good Luck!

- Wil

Back