Does Anyone Know How To Use An MPD?

AdrockHiggs

Does anyone know how i could go about making some drum patterns with my mpd16, other than controlling shit in fruity loops one sample over 16 pads at a time, i realize NI battery is a good call but ive got no clue how to use that shit.

what do you mean by drum pattern? are you talking like measure of note and such to be looped , because if so you'll need to record it somewhere as the mpd as no way of storing anything

the mpd 16 primary function is as a midi controller but you can also use it as a stand alone by assigning sounds to a bank via your computer or keyboard

Now battery from NI in my opinion is best use as a VST (that's the only way i've used it) so i stand to be corrected.
with this software you be able to manipulate each sound to your specification

AdrockHiggs said:
Does anyone know how i could go about making some drum patterns with my mpd16, other than controlling shit in fruity loops one sample over 16 pads at a time, i realize NI battery is a good call but ive got no clue how to use that shit.

I PM'd you with this info....

What’s up, A.H.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you, but every time I type out a long response, something happens. :eek: One of these things tends to happen, either the computer freezes, HR.COM freezes, I hit the wrong shortcut key then the info erases. This is the fifth time I’m typing this out, except now I’m creating this in Microsoft Word (so we’ll be safe). ;)

You can use Battery as a SOFT-SYNTH or a STAND-ALONE.

I’ll explain it as a soft-synth, because virtually the same thing applies to both situations.

You will basically set-up BATTERY and the MPD the same way in all of the programs (Fruity Loops, Acid, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc…).

I’ll explain the process using Acid Pro 4.0.

Open Acid>VIEW>MIXER>on the MIXER TAB>INSERT SOFT SYNTH>VSTi Preferences>BROWSE> (search for the folder containing the Battery VST)>(check mark the box labeled Battery)>APPLY>OK>in SOFT SYNTH CHOOSER highlight BATTERY>press OK

Ok at this point you have BATTERY ready to be loaded and tweaked.

You can load the samples in a few different ways. You can load one at a time, 54 at a time, or a row/s at a time.

Let’s try loading 3 samples at the same time. The 3 samples will be a vocal WAV. that equates into the sentence ‘rock the beat with your hands’. For example…. Sample “A” will be “rock the beat. Sample “B” will be “with”, and Sample “C” will be “with your hands”.

In BATTERY…

Go to the top left square>LEFT-CLICK>(to the square to its immediate right) CTRL-LEFT CLICK>(to the square to its immediate right of the previous square) CTRL-LEFT CLICK>go to FILE>LOAD CELLS>find your samples>OPEN

If you want your samples to truncate or restart every time you trigger them with the MPD/KEBOARD then>MUTE GROUP (in the CELL portion of the Battery window [middle far left])>LEFT-CLICK (over the word OFF, then scroll your mouse UP [put it on 1]) this will make the sample truncate AND restart every time you trigger it with your MIDI controller. If you want certain cells not to truncate when another pad is hit then change it/them to a different number. For example you might want Pad ‘rock the beat’ and Pad ‘with’ to be assigned to Mute Group 1, and you might want Pad ‘your hands’ to be assigned to Mute Group 2.

You see what I mean after you play around with the program. Some samples you will want to let them “ride”, while some samples you’ll want to “flip”. J

You can also layer your CELLS.

FILE.ADD CELL/S>locate the sample you want to layer the previous sound with…

You can tweak the layer in the LAYER portions’ drop down box.

Okay, let’s deal with the MPD….

Open the MPD utility>change the PADs MIDI notes to correspond with the ones in BATTERY.

OK, back to ACID

MIXER> (right-click) the BATTERY meter>SOFT SYNTH PROPERTIES>[ there will be 4 icons on the top left hand side of the soft synth window] LEFT CLICK the icon that is furthermost to the left>LEFT CLICK the icon that is to the right of the previous icon>SELECT MPD 16

That should get you started. It will be the same in Fruity Pro.

Except you’ll………

OPEN FLP>CHANNELS>ADDD ONE> MORE>double click BATTERY>goto>OPTIONS>MIDI>select>AKAI MPD 16

Cava et au revoir, mon frere,

spin

Back