Does anyone know how to solder cables?

Hi Tim.

Thanks for your reply. I am using a soldering pencil;-- this terminolgy is new to me! I will check out your website re: how to solder balanced cable.

I checked the max wattage on my iron. It says it goes from 5 tyo 40 watts. Is that too low to effectively heat of the jack to where the jack can melt the solder itself?

To answer your question, yes-- I did tin the jacks and wire; but that didn't help when it came time to melt new solder over wire when it was placed on the jack surface.

A work in progress, definitely.

Cheers.

Help available to anyone who needs it.

I have been soldering for years, and am here to help whoever needs it. I have a webcam that I just bought that I'm going to be making some videos of soldering techniques, pics, etc. (what did you THINK i was taking videos of?!? jk.) A lot of you guys in here seem to really know your stuff. I will be glad to contribute in any way possible.

Tim BrownWell said:
Actually, anyone can drill anything pretty much, except for Titanium.

For plastic, wood, and softer materials, you want your drill press spinning faster.

For drilling aluminum, steel, brass, thick copper and cast iron, you want a slower drill speed. I set my $150 sears drill press down to 200ish RPM for drilling harder materials, and let the bit do the work. If you spin the bit too fast, it glazes over, smokes, and dulls. Slow is good. Takes a while of course to drill at slower speeds, but the bits last longer and you end up with a round hole, rather than a slightly triangular hole. To make larger holes for xlr jacks and such, you could even use a bi-metal hole saw of appropriate diameter, also in a drill press, that works well also.

Hi guys,

I just recently tried my hands at soldering. I used the famous Klotz La Grange
guitar cable and some Neutrik straight connectors. I've read alot of good things about Klotz. But I was a bit dissappointed at the sound when i plugged
it in. Comparing it to a cheap Earnie Ball Ultraflex with switchcraft plugs
the Klotz was not as loud and bright. I was baffled. It had me thinking
could it be my soldering. I tend to put too much soldering lead and my work
is not as clean as I'd like it. But the joints are attached "well", meaning it
won't come off and will stay in place. There are definitely no loose connections.

My question is, does the quality of soldering affect the sound, brightness,
output volume of a cable. I'm also supecting the Neutriks to be not
so bright as a connector. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

How to transfer the heat faster

One thing that I do when I am soldering to speed things up is to let a small ball of solderhang on the tip of my gun. The small ball of solder transfers heat a lot faster than the tip by itself. ( I can't give credit for this idea because I read it somewhere on the net a while back.) Using this method, it usually takes just a few seconds to do small joints, and not much longer on the heavier joints such as grounds and such.

Klotz uses neutrik connectors, so that's not the problem. Look at the solder joints you have made. They should be bright and shiny. if the solder looks gray and "cloudy" it is what is called a cold solder joint. Sometimes there is some black or yellow flux residue on the joint, but that isn't what I'm talking about. If you move the wire as the solder cools, the solder crystallizes in big grains and forms a poor joint. This can definitely affect sound quality. I use a piece of wood with a 1/4" hole in it to hold the plug so I can use one hand to solder and one to hold the wire.

I also use hemostats to hold the wire clamped to the connector until the joint cools (usually just a few seconds). This gives a good mechanical connection to start with (pretty important)

Tinning the wire and connector also recommended.

On the "small glob on the tip" tip - Although this is commonly done by pro's, it's possible that you saw a small "booklet" on soldering I posted at RO a couple of years ago, which caused them to ask me if I'd help moderate their "tech talk" forum (which has since disappeared) I'm now one of their acoustics mods in between handling the Construction forum at John Sayers' site -

Anyway, to add to the great info already posted on this thread here's a really useful page for connections, etc -

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

browse around their site, they have a lot more useful white papers, etc... Steve

I always wondered what was meant by a "cold solder joint".
I mean, if you melt the solder, its hot - right?
It goes on to the joint, its hot - right?
So how could you possibly have a "cold solder joint"?

I've done a lot of soldering, and I guess I've never seen a cold joint.

Now I understand if the wire moves during cooling - its a cold solder joint.
Thanks for the info.

Soldering isn't real hard to do, but it does take practice.
One of the most difficult (I think) is learning how to work WITH your material.
Its easier to let your wires find a "relaxed position", then move your joint to it, hold it in place, and solder.
Its easier to hold the connector than it is to hold the wire, and with the wire already in that relaxed position, it isn't going to move on you.

Hemastats and alligator clips can help, but learning to work with the material is easier to do.

ALWAYS tin your leads.
Make sure you use flux, and make SURE it is NOT an acid based flux. The acid will eat away at the copper over time.
Flux needs to be rosin based for soldering electronics.
Use an iron, not a gun, and if you buy an iron, make sure the tips are replaceable.
When you're finished for the day, re-tin the soldering iron's tip. You won't go thru them as quick that way.

I know what you mean. Stress on the joint makes it hard to work with and makes it easier to accidentally get the aforementioned cold joint.

Oh, yeah- they call it a cold joint because one of the causes can be that the joint isn't hot enough- it's hot enough to melt the solder but not hot enough so the solder fuses to the wire & connector. The result is the same if the wire gets moved-a poor connection. Now it just means any bad solder joint, no matter the cause.

My problem was that my cable ends used to relax somewhere like-under my bench :) .

Now I just coil 'em and they go where I want. I make a lot of cables and snakes. Hemos are good for spkr cables- damn connectors get hot! And they make a good mechanical connection before the joint is even soldered. Just about impossible to use on xlrs, tho.

Solder is pretty forgiving, and I'm a bit particular :D .

A cold solder joint is grainy, because the solder didn't melt completely, therefore the connection isn't going to be reliable. Its likely to pull apart.

The proper way to solder is to make a strong mechanical joint first. Soldering to a lug means you need to strip the insulation back a bit, and wrap the bare wire around the lug through the hole, then twist it back so that by itself, the wire will remain in place.

*Then* solder over that.

Same for inline splices... strip back the insulation on both wires, overlay them about 1/2 way of what you stripped, and rotate them so they twist together. Then solder over that.

Rarely, if you "ball" the solder on the iron then drop it onto the wire or the lug, have you made a really good connection, unless you keep the iron there for a while, so that the base metal (the wire, lug, terminal, whatever) is hot enough to wick the solder into its surface.

I have seen many solder joints that look good, but whats underneath is not all that good. Doing it right is more work and a pain in the ass, but if you're wiring up 1500 solder joints in your studio, it would be nice not to have to revisit those joints for a few decades.

Also, for those who consider themselves "not so good solderers", using a top quality "silver solder" rather than the garbage from radio shack will make it that much easier. Normally silver solder is much thinner, thus melts easier, and silver solder has a lower melting temperature than rosin core lead/tin solder, so I'd give that a whirl.

I use radio shack solder for temporary stuff - like wiring experiments for fuel injection stuff on my workbench, audio circuits I'm just wiring up to play with, but anything thats final, important, or serious, I use silver solder all the way.

If you're just going to wire up a few things, a radio shack soldering iron is a cheap way to go. But do know that their temperature fluctates wildly, and for $9 you shouldn't be too suprised. If you're going to wire up your studio, maybe 10 patch bays per side with 48 jacks with 3 terminals a piece, that would be 1440 solder joints right there, plus any patch cords you want to make, I'd recommend spending a few dollars and buying a weller variable temperature soldering iron. They are more comfortable to work with, as the handle is better insulated, the tips are of better quality than the ratshack stuff, and its a professional tool. I've seen lower end "good stuff" weller soldering irons mail order in the $50ish range. Its a tool you can use for decades too. I do use ratshack soldering irons sometimes for things that aren't important, they are also good for tossing in a tool bag to solder at a friends, because for $9 its okay to break them :) But they do burn out after a while and the handles get too hot for my tastes.

In fact, I just finished last weekend the wiring harness for my F350 crewcab. Bumper to bumper, there are 76 connectors, 120 splices, and somewhere around 5000 solder joints total. Silver solder/weller all the way.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Frederic, good call on the "ball of solder" thing - that trick should ONLY be used to ensure that you get good heat transfer to the joint quicker, so less things melt or burn in the process - you still need to make sure that the JOINT melts the solder, not the soldering iron.

I personally HATE using silver solder, haven't had any joints fail but the stuff doesn't melt as easily as GOOD tin/lead stuff - I don't buy cheap solder period.

My fave is the SN63, or "hyper-eutectic" stuff - slightly lower melting point, flows well, never fails. Been soldering stuff together for over 40 years; breathing all those lead fumes didn't affect me one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit one bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit-bit... Steve

Pricier, but excellent soldering irons can be found from Metcal. Any professional setting I've been in has had Metcal soldering stations. They are the best, IMO.

knightfly said:
I personally HATE using silver solder, haven't had any joints fail but the stuff doesn't melt as easily as GOOD tin/lead stuff - I don't buy cheap solder period.

I have to ask *why* you hate silver solder... It's more of a curiosity thing.

The silver stuff I've used didn't seem to have as low a melting point, so it made me nervous about getting too much heat into the components - like I said, the joints looked fine, I'm just used to the hyper-eutectic... Steve

I just had a roll of that hyper stuff given to me by my boss. He still uses silver to solder ICs and transistors- says silver melts quicker. I'm just gonna find out for myself......

Decided to get off my ass and check this out, since my own experience with silver (not much) seemed opposite - seems the 96/4 silver (4% silver, 96% tin) melts at 356 F, while the SN63 (eutectic point ) melts at 361 F. Other percentages of non-silver solder have quite a few differences; here's a page that shows more -

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_118.htm

Note that the 63% is the ONLY tin-lead alloy in which both metals become liquid at the same temperature - this is the main reason this stuff is so much easier to use; there is virtually no "pasty" range, it's either liquid or it's NOT... Steve

Back