Does anyone know about the "sound dampening" panels at Home Depot?

I can't tell for sure, but yes that looks similar. But the stuff at HD is only 1/2" in 4'x8' sheets. That stuff looks to be what, 1" or more?
I just went to get some 2x4s and I should've taken a pic of it to post.

edit: I took another glance. In my mind's eye, the HD product seems to be a little more dense. Maybe it is just because of the difference in thickness.

Last edited:
I just installed some

I just did my 20 by 30 foot loft above my detached garage in this stuff, and covered it with 5/8ths sheetrock.

I'm building a combination rehearsal/recording/ hi-fi listening/ library. On the cheap. Lots of compromises being made. I'm not in a quiet neighborhood, we're near a main Motorcycle criusing avenue here by the beach, and you can hear I-95 a mile away...

I can't give you the results yet as I still have the last four or five sheets of drywall to put up, then taping &c. BUT I really feel like it was worth it. Even though the drywall is screwed to the studs through the soundboard, I really feel like it will deaden transmission of sound over a pretty wide range of frequencies.

LF stuff is bound to still transfer itself along the screws to the studs, but my sound reduction needs aren't that big. (Note that I do play mostly Jazz.)

I could also hang it solo (my wife's pregnant...) :) b/c it was so light.

cost me nine bucks a sheet, so about equivalent to a layer of drywall.

Edit: This garage really does have truss construction, spaced pretty far apart, 24" O.C. I think.

Last edited:
Rick, that was good. I think I'm going with something a little different though. I went ahead and bought some of the "Hush Board" as it is called, and am going to give that a shot with tongue-in-groove for the exterior of the interior leaf. No physical separation of the roof/ceiling structures, but I'll cough it up and be the guinea pig. My wife always says I'm a pig, anyway. At least we'll have some definitive idea of what the stuff does and whether it is worth the $72 I paid for it. :o

I went ahead and bought some of the "Hush Board" as it is called, and am going to give that a shot with tongue-in-groove for the exterior of the interior leaf.
Cool. At least you made a decision, which is more than I can say :D My whole project is in limbo at the moment so feel lucky that you can get on with it. :p Frankly, I think the walls/diffraction thing will work pretty good. Who knows though untill its done. Good luck with your studio and by all means, have fun. Afterall, isn't that supposedly why we're doing this? :D
Hell, I USED to be a guitar player :rolleyes: .. somewhere along the line..I forgot what the point to this was.... and I played 30 yrs. :( :mad: :eek: :confused: fuck. :D

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Hell, I USED to be a guitar player :rolleyes: .. somewhere along the line..I forgot what the point to this was.... and I played 30 yrs. :( :mad: :eek: :confused: fuck. :D

You and me both, brother. Well, I don't quite have 30 years on my belt...39 and started seriously playing at 16, but several years as of late have gone by that would count as 'life experience', but not serious playing. I hope the new room will change that :D
As for the little project, you called it...we'll see how it does. If it does well and I end up 'testing' it with gages and meters or whatever that is done with, it may be a good educational experience to see what (hopefully) or what not to do. Following most of the principles here, just taking some liberties with them.
Hey, I meant to tell you and I think I have a few times along the way, thanks for your input. I obviously have to do what I feel I need to do, but all of the links and your responses have helped way my decisions on this. :) :)

Back