Does anyone here use MOTU 1224?

saxman72

I just did a search on this and found very little on it. Is the 1224 not common here cuz it's expensive? Or some other reason?

I have a GadgetLabs 824 that I like but I missed the chance to add the digital i/o. NOW I want that digital capability! Oh well, so much for my timing.

Assuming I can afford the 1224, does anybody recommend anything else that has that good or better sound quality?

thanks,

saxman72

I have the 1224 and I've been incredibly happy with it. I'd take a look at the 2408 - it's $300 cheaper than the 1224, has the same 8/8 analog and seems to have more digital connections. Check out this comparison chart of all the MOTU stuff, if you haven't already. Those price quotes are a bit higher than actual retail prices.

I think the reason you do not see much talk about the 1224 is due mainly to the fact that is a great piece of gear and people do not have problems with it. Aside from their manuals being poorly written- the AD converters are exceptional. I would avoid the 2408 system unless you need the special inputs as the converters are not as good as those in the 1224.

The 1224 is a great soundcard/input/output setup.

There's a manual :)? I've never looked at mine - I plugged in the card, ran the cable to the rack unit, installed the drivers and that was it. Thanks for that bit about the 2408 converters. I always assumed they were the same as the 1224, but now I guess when I expand I'll spend the extra cash and add another 1224.

Yeah, that's where my problem is...
I'm willing to spend more for the better converters, but I also have a DA-88 and would like to hook that up digitally. I don't want to buy BOTH though. Oh well. So far I'm surviving fine with my GadgetLabs without digital.

Back