does anyone here use a drum machine?

I use a Boss Dr 202 controlled by a Yammy sequencer.
I refuse to use it to slave it to the HD, but with the right connection, it prob'ly could be done. Not to sure!

I use a Roland R-70.

I don't have an hd24. I record using an ADAT XT. I set the R-70 to "sync" mode, which generates a tone (called an SMPTE tone) through an RCA output. I hook up the output to track 1 on my ADAT. I hit record on the ADAT and after a second or two hit play on the drum machine. The main output of the drum machine is hooked up to the monitors. When the drum tracks have played through once, the drum machine stops. I then hit stop on the ADAT.

Then, I take the output from track 1 on the ADAT and feed it back through the drum machine via RCA input (both RCA in and out are designed just for the SMPTE tone feed). I hit play on the drum machine to cue it up, and then hit play on the ADAT. Usually I have a mono signal recording simultaneously into track 2 of the ADAT. Now I can record other parts against the mono track 2, and later add drums when tracking or mixing by synching the machines via the SMPTE tone as I just outlined.

Hope a bulb went off for ya,

Cy

Back