Does Anybody Know This Answer????

Cudmasters Los

Right now I have the Live Drive II, but I'm tired of recording 1 track at a time. I am thinking of buying the echo Layla because I have 2 Adat's and this peice of hardware has not only 8 outputs, but a lightpipe also to work with the Adat's if I need to. I am working with Cakewalk, Acid, and Soundforge programs.

Here is where I'm stuck. Should I buy the Layla, to work with these programs? Should I buy the Sister of Layla(Gina) that has only 4, outputs, but the same thing? Or should I buy the Digedesign 001 Workstation, that is the same price as the Layla but offers Pro Tools with it. But there's more. Does the Digedesign just work with Pro Tools or does it work with all programs?

Or, do you have any better suggestions of hardware or software?

Thanks

you should go with the Motu 896, Motu 2408 mkIII or the RME Multiface. the digi001..naw.. it doesn't sound that great compared to the cards i just mentioned. PT LE is ok software, but far from great, but it gets the job done i guess...and no the digi001 doesn't work with all programs, most programs it gets limited to 2 i/o...the only program i know it works with is logic on mac..other than that you have to stick to PT LE

when it comes to quality its hard to match RME.. but the motu 896 is the best motu i've ever heard. when i get the money i'm gonna get 2 of them

yea, digidesigns means all pro tools setup. Not BAD, but not good if its not your softwear of choice. And a full setup can be MAD expensive. Sounds like you've gotten used to your other programs, i'd go with a Motu personally, (not the firewire ones), but ive also heard good things about the layla and the others.

Thanks for your replies!!!

I have heard so much about the motu's, I just never paid them any attention. I just looked at the web site, "Musician's Freind" about the motu's, and I was wondering what "Firewire" means with the motu's.

The 896 looks sweet, Sooo is the price. But it definetly looks worth it!. What about the 828, but it says firewire.

I am also hearing alot about the WDM drivers, don't know what that is either, if i get this I want to make sure that I don't run into any problems.

Yes, I am comfortable with my programs, I am running cakewalk,(Sonar,and ProAudio 9) Soundforge, Acid, and Vegas. I'm glad you told me about the Pro Tools, I was really considering it, I thought it would be a better deal if I bought something that held a different program like Pro Tools, and ran different programs also!!!

Would I run into any problems, if i got the Moto?

Thanks!!!

Nothing wrong with MOTU

... but a lot of people here (including myself) like the Delta 1010. It works great with CW PA9 and Sonar.

I have heard alot about Delta's too, it's just that
the only problem I have with the Delta, is that it doesn't have lightpipe's for Adat's. Other than that I would probubly go that route.

Firewire means it connects to your computer VIA firewire port. So you'd need to purchase a seperate firewire card to plug it into. Firewire is just another input such as USB, or parralel. It has a higher bandwith than either of those other two, but not nearly as high as a pci card. and THAT, is why i would not recomend the 896 or the other firewire Motu unless you need the portability. It being portable because you can plug it into a laptop with a firewire input, and can record in great quality on the go, whereas a card like the delta you couldn't use with a laptop because it has no room for the extra pci card.

So for motu i would recomend the 2408 mark 2, same great quality as the 896 (maybe better), just with a pci card so its got a better transfer speed. (but no preamps)

One thing, i heard some of the motu equipment had bad driver support for windows based operating systems. I don't know if this is only true for their firewire cards, or for all of them. But if it is also true for their pci cards i would hold that as a strong strike against them, and seirously consider other options.

I hear GREAT things about the Delta 1010.

oooh, and look into RME, i honestly know nothin about this product, and i need to seriously research it. But ive heard as far as straight up qualtiy goes, its the bomb.

Ambi, you've helped out alot, Thanks!!!!

You seem like you know your stuff, so I was wondering, nobody talks about the Gina, or the Layla. Is it because nobody knows about them or because they just suck. What kind of imput do you have of them.

The reason why I'm pursuing so hard on the Echo's is because when I called the Guitar Center in Hollywood, the first thing they mentioned was the Echo, but on this website everybody's going crazy over the Moto and the Delta, and the Gtar Center is pretty famous you know what I mean!!! Or are they just being salesman and recomending a product where they get the most commision out of???

I really like the Layla's myself, but the cost was a little high for me. I bought the Frontier Design Dakota, which also offers 2 ADAT I/O, One S/PDIF I/O and 2 MIDI ports. That is 18 channels of Digital I/O, plus 32 channels of MIDI. No analog I/O. You have to provide the A/D/A converters yourself. However, you have the ADAT's so you have no neec to convert for going into the PC. You can monitor it while mixing through most sound cards...which can coexist with the Dakota, or you can get a D/A converter....S/PDIF or ADAT, determined by your own desires. I accomplished this dualfold by purchasing a Fostex VM200 digital mixer and a Fostex VC8....both using ADAT I/O. My output is actually to my Roland DS-90a monitors....digitally....but this is far overkill for your goals.

The website for Frontier Design is http://www.frontierdesign.com

You can purchase it from the place I did, http://www.studiocat.com. Call the guy for the best price. The website is almost always behind on the current pricing. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and love every minute of using it.

I have a patchbay, so I would use that as my analog input to the Adat's(2), and the lightpipe from the Adat to the computer which would be my 16 channels of audio imput? So I would be able to record 16 tracks of audio into the computer at one time this way? That would be sweet!!!

I was just on theyre website. The question I have is that if I wanted to have video sycn also, I would have to buy the Montana as well. This would give me an additional 16 trax of audio imput (which I really wouldn't use unless I bought another Adat) but I would have to use to card's. And if so, how do I know that my computer would host these two slots? This is really opening my eyes. Why pay for the delta, Motu, or layla for 1/4" imputs when i could just use my patch bay via my Adat's, right?

I'm assuming the sound quality is there also!

Last edited:
Back