Does ANYBODY have any idea...?

GROOVEJIVEY

Hey-
I've had this Fender Squier Bullet for about 6 years now, & I've had a 100 different people tell me just as many stories as to where this axe was made, when it was made, etc., etc., etc. Here's the scoop: I bought it at a little music store that's owned by a state trooper & his twin brother, also a state trooper, & their nephew runs it for them. The nephew told me when I bought it that it's an '89, but I don't know much about Fenders other than when I like the sound & playability of a particular Fender guitar. The serial number on it is E908168, & the headstock says "Made in Korea". The pickups are the single/single/humbucker configuration, mounted directly in the body (No pickguard) with a 5-way selector & single volume & single tone. The vibrato unit is a 6 saddle, 2-poster, & the output jack is mounted in the lower edge of the body Les Paul-style, instead of on the face of the guitar. The tuners are a very high-quality sealed type, with a nice ratio (unknown) that makes tuning a snap, & changing a string doesn't take all day to wind up around the post. 21 frets, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, & a nice cream-colored solid paint job. I replaced the stock pickups with Carvin units, although the original pickups didn't sound bad. The guitar, in its original condition, sounded VERY nice, but it's my understanding that the guitar, for the year, & the model/trim line, is a budget job. If this is the case, I can't imagine a "budget" guitar of any make having the quality & craftsmanship that this one has. Maybe it's just me, hell, I don't know, but I fell in love with this guitar the first time I played it, & I generally don't care for Fender products period. Does anybody have the scoop on this thing? I've already talked to several different Fender/Vintage guitar "gurus", & have gotten a different story from them all. If there's anyone out there that knows the particulars, clue me in... Thanks,
Groove.
PS- I gave $125 for it, one of the best deals I've EVER made... :D

As I recall the 90xxxx series was produced by a team headed up by Sum Yung Gi and he had a pretty good crew. The factory was still pretty new but they had a lot of experience with gongs and woks and that made them more experienced with sustain and hot licks.

Later on they cut costs and layed off Gi and his crew. Gi was replaced by Sum Ting Wong and the Squire line has gone downhill ever since. :(

I can't help you with any detail about your guitar, just thought you might like to hear from someone else who has owned a couple of the older Fenders made in Korea. Both of mine were strats and were surprisingly well made, in fact they played better than some USA strats.

TexRoadkill said:
As I recall the 90xxxx series was produced by a team headed up by Sum Yung Gi and he had a pretty good crew. The factory was still pretty new but they had a lot of experience with gongs and woks and that made them more experienced with sustain and hot licks.

Later on they cut costs and layed off Gi and his crew. Gi was replaced by Sum Ting Wong and the Squire line has gone downhill ever since. :(

Hey Tex, et al:
Thanks for the info. I nearly shit when I read the reply, I didn't get it at first, then when I re-read it, I liked to died. I laughed for about 10 minutes over that "Sum Yung Gi" & "Sum Ting Wong" shit, that was funny as hell. Through various sources of (mis)information, I was under the impression that this particular line was made in Japan during that time period, but I know dick about Fender... Have you ever seen one that had the pickups mounted to/in the body, with rear-rout/mount controls? I've never seen another like it. The body is also a little smaller than the average Strat body, tho' I tend to think that's because it's foreign made. Am I even in the ballpark on that one? Dani, I tend to agree with you in that I don't much care for the Fender brand in general, but there's something about this guitar that literally blows away all the high-$$$ American Fender products that I've tried in my eternal quest for the perfect guitar. I appreciate any & all info submitted on this axe, & thank all who respond or may respond in the future, in advance.
Groove. :D :D :D

Back