Does an interface completely bypass your computers soundcard?

presto5

I have the Presonus Audiobox and I`m experiencing latency with drum software and I`m wondering if its my interface or soundcard. Thinking maybe I should get firewire instead of USB?

Your interface is your soundcard. Took me a while to understand this when I first started. Your soundcard should be completely disabled. Latency from software is just a matter of your buffer setting. Lower the buffer, less latency, but at some point, your computer will puke when the buffer is too low. You need to find the sweet spot.

And you need to be using the asio low-latency drivers, not the mme drivers....
Some people can get by with wdm drivers, but asio is what you want to use.

YOU have to go in and tweak the settings in the asio control panel, your sequencer
won't automatically do it for you.

Yeah ..tried all that

I tried ASIO4ALL and the Presonus Audiobox drivers and all different buffering settings in both...helped only a little...its either my interface or the fact that im using 32 bit Reaper with 64 bit Windows i think...Anyone?

32 bit works with 32 bit.
64 bit works with 64 bit.

If you mix the two, you will get issues.
Load the 64 bit reaper on and your should see less latency.

The other questions are:

-how much ram do you have?
-does your computer go beyond the min specs?
-is your boot hard drive over half full?

all of these thing play a part in how fast your computer will work.

Hope that gives you a couple of places to look at.
Good Luck.

32-bit programs should work just fine on a 64-bit OS. It does for me and Cubase anyway. It is within the program that the bit rate can/will be problematic. I have heard tho, a possible issue with 32-bit Reaper and W7-64. Not sure what it is, but I am sure you could Google up some info there.

Back