does a Shure 58 need a preamp?

0-T

...or can it be plugged directly into a soundcard?

A friend of mine is looking for the best dynamic mic (I heard too many great things about the 58) and all he has is a PC. What do you guys suggest?

Yes it does but it doesn't need phantom power. Get a cheap preamp like the ART MP (about $80, maybe less on eBay). Or get a cheap mixer, since you're starting out, like a Behringer 2 or 4 channel. Again, about $80 but you get a couple of channels. You can also use the ART MP as a DI (direct in) box for guitar, bass, etc. Make sure you plug into the "line in" jack on your soundcard. The "mic in" is for those cheasy mics you use to talk on internet. Have fun.

Oh yeah, the SM58 is a great mic and it'll last forever. Get the one without the switch. It's a lot cheaper and you just don't need the switch.

DD

thanks

As for the line-in jack, I heard a lot of people say that. When I plugged my Meek/SP C-1 into my line-in jack, the signal was distorted very badly. It must be a soundcard specific issue.

0-T said:
thanks

As for the line-in jack, I heard a lot of people say that. When I plugged my Meek/SP C-1 into my line-in jack, the signal was distorted very badly. It must be a soundcard specific issue.

You may have the gain to high. Everyone round here would suggest you plug that mic jack up with some putty cuz it's no good for recording. Well, almost everyone.

good luck.

kt

KevinTran said:
You may have the gain to high. Everyone round here would suggest you plug that mic jack up with some putty cuz it's no good for recording. Well, almost everyone.

good luck.

kt
It had nothing to do with volume. The size of the wave varied, but the wave itself was... I can't explain it.

hmmm.. ok... this is a wave of total silence:

when I record with the plug in the mic-in jack, I get a wavelength along that line. When I record from line-in, the middle of the wavelength is under that line. It produced a horrible, horrible-sounding wave, that only gets worse when compression & reverb are added. I really think it must be a soundcard-specific problem. In either case, it doesn't bother me. I get great results from my set up.

ozraves, thanks. I heard a lot about that preamp. I would have one now but the store didn't have one when I needed it, so I got the Meek.. which was also recommended. It's not bad, but has it's limitations.

0-T said:
...or can it be plugged directly into a soundcard?

A friend of mine is looking for the best dynamic mic (I heard too many great things about the 58) and all he has is a PC. What do you guys suggest?

The pre-amp must be plugged into the line in of the soundcard. The mic in has a preamp. The sm58 can be plugged into the mic in directly.

thx... is that advised though? someone said the mic doesn't "sound right" when plugged directly into the PC. How noticeable is it?

A Beyer M69 or Soundstar MKII (M400) will usually kill a '58 on most voices. They're both 200 Ohms impedance, and will match
a Meek pre better than a Shure.

Chris

P.S. I have a Beyer Soundstar MKII that's going up for sale soon.
Send me a PM (private message) if interested.

DigitalDon said:
Oh yeah, the SM58 is a great mic and it'll last forever.
DD

I use a sm58 with the mackie micpres and an MBox on the VLZ boards for male rock vocals and it doesnt sound bad at all, with a little Waves Ren compressor and the Logic stereo delay "vocal enhance" preset...

my question would be, what would be the most logical and cost effective step up as far as preamps go from the Mackie mic pre's?

Back