Do you use amp modeling instead of amp?

bassbrad

Do you use amp modeling or multi-effect instead of amp for recording?
I know it is a terrible concept because we all love our amps but still....
Personally I don't have the big bucks or space to deal with all the truly wonderful amps out there, and the volume levels needed would get the cops called out by my cool neighbors, but modeling brings a lot of those sounds home at easy to deal with prices and volume. Not that I don't have a sweet recording amp, '65 Fender Bassman with preamp mod and 1/2 power mod 1x12 Mitchell small Thiele with EV 12L
I have just convinced another guitar player to go with amp modeling for recording instead of using an amp. Had the studio amp and mic all set up to go but showed him my new studio toy AdrenaLinn III, dialed up a model of his favorite dream amp, #30 Marshall Plexi, tweaked it a bit added some compression, delay & 'verb and he didn't even want to bother with the amp, sat perfectly in the track. Next tune we scrolled thru some of the High Gain (& super money) amps and settled on # 45 Diezel VH4, an amp he had always admired, a bit of a tweak and whammo perfect tone for the trak.

Last edited:
I have no problem with amp sims. Software just keeps getting better and so do the sims. I actually use a Roland VG-99 which is still a modeler, but means my computer doesn't have to do the work. Plus I not only can model amps, cabinets and mic's but guitars and pedals.

Now, I couldn't tell you if the simulation of a 1959 strat through a fender twin reverb mic'ed with a 421 set 10 cm in away actually sounds exactly like the real thing, but I know I like that setting and love the tone I get from it.

I think there's nothing wrong with using emulations, but I don't always like them. Amplitube has some pretty good clean sounds buried in it, but for the most part, the distortions just aren't there yet. There are some sounds that could be usable, mostly for lead, but so far I haven't found anything that sounds quite like either of my nice tube amps when I crank them. Even still, something about the emulations just doesn't feel real, and I don't mean in terms of actual feeling with my guitar. It still doesn't quite feel like a speaker pushing air in a room.

I have an old peavey bandit that is great for collecting dust and housing spiders. :eek: I use a digitech pedal. The presets are never close to what I like so a lot of tweaking, but I get there most times. I've been cited for having fizzy guitar tones when they should be crunchy. lol... but I think that's me and not the gear.

I use the digitech because I track mostly at night and like to DI into my interface, monitor with headphones. Let's the family sleep.

I hate it when the purists speak up and say the amp sims don't sound the same as a real amp. Probably true, but they are close and they are another tool in your belt. It might not be the same sound, but it can sound good in its own right. Of course, the purists have a right to speak up, I just hate it. :laughings:

This question gets asked fairly often, btw. You can browse through for more discussions on it.

peace,

I use a combo of sims and real amps. I bet that 99.99999% of even the most anal purist snobs can't tell the difference.

Either works for me. But as I went through a plethora of desktop and laptop computers trying to find 'the one', I went back to real amplifiers, and real EQ's, and real compressors. What latency?
If your computer can handle it, have the options. Why limit yourself to one or two real amplifiers when hundreds of virtual tone machines will fit on a CD? Unless you have bad luck with computers, like I do.

I'm looking forward to the day we can all buy a software program that the only thing you have to do is push the start button and nothing else. No more playing thoes pesky instruments, taking time to practice music, and no singers that can't sing. Were closer to it then you might think. You can program drum sounds, at the click of the mouse you can get all kinds of fx and things, and autotune corrects people that have trouble keeping the right pitch. We really have progressed. Just another step closer to taking the human equation out of the creative processes of music. Sorry, I know I was off topic. I was have been listening to a friends music that was 100 computer created and it has made me want to throw my computer out the window. I hate industrial music. OK getting back on topic, bassbrad, I live in a small town with no shortage of neighbors and can relate to your problem. If the tunes are sounding good then keep it up. At Least I can do my recording during the day and have no troubles. Good luck.

Been using amp sim plug-ins for a while now. I'm pleased with the sound I get. Honestly, I really like recording bass guitar with a VST.
I got over trying to sound like this amp or that amp a while back. Now I just look for the sound I want.

100% analogue for me (until it hits cubase ha ha)

engl 50w screamer through a mesa 1x12 cab.

sm57 plus a rode nt1a then through the soundtracs topaz before it goes to the motu.

just don't like fiddling with too much on a computer screen tbh plus that lot sounds great with any of me guitars. :)

dinosaur? me?

Sansamp GT2, Sansamp Bass Driver DI.....so close to real!:cool::D
I have a SansAmp Classic and a Para Driver DI. Both are incredibly useful and realistic. One of the reasons I choose to use the plug-ins for recording instead of the tech21 pre-amps is control. If I use a VST, I can manipulate the track after I record it (instead of recording a dry guitar signal, routing it out to the SansAmp and back into the computer).

I do love tech21's stuff, though. They make useful equipment.

Used to use amp sims...I think they are lacking something recording wise.

# 1...hard to mix
# 2...Amps are more aggressive in sound and nature...You seem to hit the strings a bit harder playing through an amp where as amp sims you seem to hold back a bit.
# 3
Real distortion sounds way better than any amp sim...amp sim distortion has a long way to go...It doesnt sound good at all...it sucks.

I use a Pod XT Live occasionally for recording. A few of the amp models are very nice; some are not so convincing.

Most of my recording is through tube amps, though.

As we've said over and over on this forum, a modeler is just a tool. If it gets you where you want to go, fine.

For clean guitar sounds amp modeler's sound pretty good however when it comes to distortion i have yet to find an amp sim that sounds good...Ive tried them all.

Guitar rig
Amplitube,2,3,fender,metal
Peavey revalver
Vintage amp room
Wave Gtr
Line 6 pod...to bassy sounding

None of the distortion sounds good...there is something about the distortion I dont like...it doesnt sound real/good at all to my ears.

No modeling, always amps...that's just my personal choice.
I prefer the organic tone and live "feel/interaction" of playing the amp/speaker even when recording.

Go with what works for you. :)

Back