Votes: 51 70.8%
  • I don't play/sing in a band

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I'm the only person in my band

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

monkie

What position do you play in the band?

I play keyboard, guitar and do back up vocals. On my own, I also play drum and bass.:D

I play in a cover band in milwaukee, standard radio rock.. We play out like once or twice per month. I also have a metal project going on, 1-man-band style, going real slow cuz of drums.. I can't play em well, and I don't know any good metal drummers locally that can pound out the beats I want!

I play in a cover band in milwaukee, standard radio rock.. We play out like once or twice per month. I also have a metal project going on, 1-man-band style, going real slow cuz of drums.. I can't play em well, and I don't know any good metal drummers locally that can pound out the beats I want!

Cool, man. What instruments do you play?

I'm primarily a guitarist but I play everything a little bit. I've played guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, triangle, and tuba on stage at some point in the past. I'd say I'm good on guitar, and just kinda 'meh' on everything else. Bass is like guitar so I can pull that off.. One of my previous bands had no bassist for a year, so we took turns passing the bass around. I can keep a beat on drums, but nothing flashy. I know 3 songs very well on piano, but I can't play much else. If ppl hear em, they think I'm a lot better than I am. Tuba was a middle/high school thing, havent picked one up for years. But I still remember the scales, so I guess that counts :D

Oh, and I can sing, but not while I'm playing... If I'm playing and try to sing, I simply stop playing... No multitasking ability whatsoever.. I do backups in songs ONLY if I have no guitar part. We have another guitarist so it's not too hard to work around.

One of my previous bands had no bassist for a year, so we took turns passing the bass around.

I like that idea. I wish my band was flexible enough to do that. I'm the only person in the band who can play guitar, bass, keyboard, drum and sing. Once in a while I just want to play everything. Just like you, I can play but not as good as someone who mainly plays that particular intrument full-time. I usually get by by making it seem like I'm very good at it. Lol.:D

I play the console. Actually, I am the 8th member of a seven member band - its the only band around here who has its own sound engineer. :D Good for me with hours under my belt, good for them in that they sound great in about any venue. It's mostly how I learned how to do live sound.

I just got back into a band after a 10 or 12 year vacation. :D

I'm playin bass in this one. Mostly originals but a couple of 80's hair metal songs the guitarist just HAS to do. We're not very good yet but have only had 3 jams. (heh heh)

The past decade I've been doing my own stuff and learned how to play drums, brushed up on my guit-fiddle skillz, learned some basic keys stuff and learning how to do the whole recording thing.

I used to play (gulp) clarinet and sax but it's alot easier with all 10 fingers. :D

I also play the console...
I'm not skilled/dedicated enough to play an instrument, but I have been told I have a great ear, and I love to mix.
does anyone know of a forum for live mixing/recording?...

Currently, I play the guitar and sing for my band, but as of late, I've been thinking about recruiting someone else to play the guitar so I can be free to express myself more onstage like a lot of my favorite singers a la Ian Curtis of Joy Division.

It's an ongoing battle in my mind at the moment. I love playing+holding the guitar as I lead the band, but I've never fronted a live performance where it's just me dancing, or whatever onstage.

Let me ask you guys this.. if you have had experience fronting a band with, and without the guitar.. which event did you like better as far as expressing yourself more creatively? Did you like fronting the band with, or without the guitar in hand? I guess both has pros and cons. It would be nice to discover the other side of performing without playing the guitar as you sing. It seems to me that the ones who sing without the guitars have more fun. I could be wrong.

Check out post-punk at its best -- Ian Curtis performing an energetic and hypnotic dance to Joy Division's Transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWgziFHSZg

Regards,
Byron

I've been in lots of bands, in many roles. I mainly play lead guitar and sing, but i've played r guitar, bass, keys, and drums.

Did you like fronting the band with, or without the guitar in hand? I guess both has pros and cons.

For the longest time I was a guitar player that backed vox. Then when I tried lead vox and guitar, I liked the lead vox alot. There is no question in my mind that I prefer singing only without other duties to weigh you down. For some reason when you can *only* sing, its like nothing else. Sadly, I'm a much much better guitar player than I am singer, but I still picking singing anyday.

I'm the singer of my band. We're based in Liverpool, UK.

We got together back in late 2007 / early 2008 and lost our bassist a couple of weeks back which has set us back a bit but we'll find a suitable replacement soon enough.

Anyway the band is (or was) a four piece comprising of one guitar, one bass, a drummer and myself singing. We're into a range of music between us and as a result the music we produce can be quite varied: some of it has been described as "garage-punk" as opposed to some acoustic, mellow songs that we have. As I said it's varied.

We have a couple of recoridngs up on the Myspace if you want to take a look and listen: www.myspace.com/thejuveniles

Cheers

Chris

What position do you play in the band?

I play keyboard, guitar and do back up vocals. On my own, I also play drum and bass.:D

nice! very multi-versital. I play guitar primarily in my band however the last 2 years i've been really getting into drums. I can't sing for the life of me.... but if I could I'd probably only do acoustic rock stuff... instead i'm in ametal band :D

I play percussion. In the last 18 years I've played in many bands. I currently work in a Motown tribute called "The Real Deal" and leading/playing in a Salsa and Latin Soul tribute called "afinque!" I do session/live work for many local artists too. Before that I was a DJ.

Thanks,
Scott.

nice! very multi-versital. I play guitar primarily in my band however the last 2 years i've been really getting into drums. I can't sing for the life of me.... but if I could I'd probably only do acoustic rock stuff... instead i'm in ametal band :D

Lol, you and me gotta trade places.. I always end up in a radio rock type band playing stuff that's way too soft for my liking. I quit the band I was talking about up a few posts for several reasons, but if they were pounding out Lamb of God, In Flames, or Machine Head type stuff, I woulda sucked it up and dealt with it.

I play guitar/sing in a three piece band. We have been together for quite a few years so we are pretty settled in our style, only so much that can be done with just guitar, bass and drums. Both myself and our bass player do vocals, our drummer just makes funny faces. Lately a couple of guys from another band have joined us onstage (both play guitar and sing) which has taken a lot of pressure off us to do all the music and vocals. It's been nice to have another guitarist so I can devote more of my attention to vocals and it's also nice to have other voices so I can pay more attention to my guitar work. We still consider ourselves to be a three man band but welcome all the help we can get from other musicians willing to "sit in" with us. We gave up on getting rich or famous a long time ago, it's all about fun and good music now.

Man this old poll didn't get much legs..

Play guit' and sing in two, (one electric', one wood'. :)
Strangely (no, make that coincidentally :rolleyes: ).. 'Jerry haunts both of them. :D

Back