Do you need a drum module with Triggers?

BenignVanilla

I have a Q about triggers. Do you need to have some sort of drum module to use triggers? I thought I read somewhere that they could be used like microphones, and then then transients can be converted into midi data.

Am I dreaming or is this possible?

I have a Q about triggers. Do you need to have some sort of drum module to use triggers? I thought I read somewhere that they could be used like microphones, and then then transients can be converted into midi data.

Am I dreaming or is this possible?

You can use a drum module or get a device to transfer it to MIDI and run it into your PC using a program like EZDrummer.

There are several ways to use triggers.

1. plug triggers into a drum module and record the audio output of the module
2. plug triggers into a drum module and record the midi data
3. plug triggers into your interface and record them like you would microphones and use a program like Drumagog to replace the sound of the trigger with the sound of a drum.
4.plug triggers into your interface and record them like you would microphones and use a program like Drumagog to turn the sound of the triggers into midi data

For live purposes, if you have trouble with the drum mics feeding back, you can use a trigger with the key insert of a noise gate to open the gate on that drum only when it is hit.

Logic has a built in function like Drumagog, but it only works on a pre-recorded track because it has a pre-processing stage where it analyzes the track and creates the mid info. Out of curiosity, does Drumagog or any other similar software work "live" (i.e., like a drum module would)?

Back