Do you loop verse and chorus parts in your songs?

Jesus...Is this not the 3,864th time you guys have this conversation? :eek:

...and I'm just talking about this month. :D

Yup, and like clockwork the counter argument is "everything is trickery except for one mic on a whole band". I just learned that tactic is called reductico absurdum. They go to ridiculous extremes to counter an argument.

WOW! I think you just gave me the name of my next album. :D

EDIT:

Actually, it's "Reductio ad absurdum", but I seriously like yours way better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Lol. Whatever it's called. I just learned the term yesterday. :D

I got no time for that. I don't care what anyone else does. I don't care what their "it's all good" mentality leads them to believe. I was just speaking for me. I don't loop or copy and paste things. Fucking sue me.

I got no time for that. I don't care what anyone else does. I don't care what their "it's all good" mentality leads them to believe. I was just speaking for me. I don't loop or copy and paste things. Fucking sue me.
I get ya. Like I said, back up harmonies are about the only thing I copy and paste.

I occasionally will punch in if there's a mistake or two on an otherwise great take. But I don't even see why I would be playing a song, and then stop after the first chorus and say "OK, I can copy and paste the rest".

It's not even a matter of "principal" for me. I just enjoy learning my own songs and playing them all the way through. I spent 20+ years playing covers all the way through on stage. So, why wouldn't I get a kick from playing my own shit all the way through?

Right? Is it really unbelievable that I can drum or powerchord straight through a 2 1/2 minute punk rock song? I've been doing it for 25 years. I do it live twice a week. Sometimes more. No big deal. Maybe it is a big deal if people are recording tracks piece by piece as the norm. Maybe I'm just fucking awesome. :)

Just my opinion, but if a band can't do the song well in a couple of takes, they are NOT ready to record.
Besides all the magic gets lost due to it becoming "work".

To me some of this daw trickery is just an extension of a fix it in the mix attitude.
The engineer is expected to do what the band can't or wont do.

Now the flip side to all this is writing in the studio. Especially if you are a solo band in a box. Then by all means get your vision recorded using any and all tools at your disposal.

It's the same conversation. Just cross out 'copying and pasting' and insert 'autotune' and you get the same discussion from few days ago.

It's the same conversation. Just cross out 'copying and pasting' and insert 'autotune' and you get the same discussion from few days ago.
I'll be sure to change my opinions from thread to thread from now on. :D

I'm not arguing with miro about this. He has his rectum absurdum, I have my bullheaded rules and regulations. No big deal.

That's very much like what my dad used to say. Except he regarded classical as the only true form of music.

Awesome. So is that your cute way of saying I'm old fashioned or something? Cool.

Anyway, I didn't say anything about the music. I was talking about the listeners.

Last edited:

Yup, and like clockwork Greg's argument is... "everything is fakery and trickery except the way I do it".

:laughings: ;)

And I agree with you Greg...all the back-n-forth is no big deal. We just have nothing better to talk about on the forums. :D

Yup, and like clockwork Greg's argument is... "everything is fakery and trickery except the way I do it".

Well, that wasn't "my argument" because I didn't say that. You twisted that from my original post, which can't be an "argument" because there was nothing to argue. It wasn't a point or a counterpoint. Just a post. I was just saying how I do my shit. But in my defense, I don't use autotune, sims, samples, loops, or copy and paste. Maybe I should start.

We just have nothing better to talk about on the forums. :D

Nothing going on in the world of politics? :p

I'm the same as Rami..On important sessions anyway.
Backing vocals often get copied because of the sheer quantity of them.
Everything else is recorded.
OK, my drums are usually samples, but I don't usually copy/paste/loop sections.

On fun tracks or quick covers, I do cheat a bit more.

You Know ......... I just love this place :thumbs up:

Well, Greg, fellow weirdo here,
I try never to cut and paste choruses, or any other part of the song, not to say I may cut / paste a vocal line or chord if really needed but not whole choruses as I love the fact that they are not quite the same through the song. However I did cut and paste a whole verse and chorus once because the band messed up the arrangement and no one noticed until the vocals were being done and the band had gone home, but thats another story :facepalm:

We really lost something when technology can cover up endless bad musicianship and reward laziness.

Alan.

Well, that wasn't "my argument" because I didn't say that.

I was just saying how I do my shit.

OK...it wasn't an argument (heck, I wasn't making any argument either)...but you do pop into many of these types of threads to immediately tell everyone how it's all "fakery/trickery".
Most guys just say....I do this or that, without any moral/ethical perspectives meant to put down everyone else who might do it different than they do. ;)

To which I like to counter "OK, what is really...real in recording these days?". :)

Hey...it's all just forum banter. Let's face it, I know most days what position you are going to take before you take it...and likewise you know the same about me.
Heck....ain't that the case with most of us here!!! :laughings:

It's all cool....I got no real beef with you or anyone.
Like I said...there's not much else to talk about most days around here...and Prime Time has been rather lacking in substance. :p

OK...it wasn't an argument (heck, I wasn't making any argument either)...but you do pop into many of these types of threads to immediately tell everyone how it's all "fakery/trickery".
Most guys just say....I do this or that, without any moral/ethical perspectives meant to put down everyone else who might do it different than they do. ;)
There's no put down. Not intentionally anyway. If someone feels put down then that's on them. I'm not calling anyone out. I suspect most people don't even care. Obviously they don't care since I stand almost alone in the minority on pretty much every one of my musical beliefs. I don't even care, because what others do has no effect whatsoever on me. But you do care for some reason, even though you claim to do your music about the same way I do, mostly. So your devil's advocate role isn't so much about what I'm saying, but more because how I say it and that I'm the one saying it. Same ol same ol. But I know you only argue with people when you feel that your own method is attacked, so I apologize if you felt attacked and insulted by my words.

Back