Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
I personally can't stand my voice. I think I've only ever done a few vocal recordings, and they were just for general ideas of songs, I've done the odd bit of backing vocals live, but I need a lot more practice before I'll like recording my vocals again.

I'm getting to like my voice more as I get older. But it's took a long time! Can I sing well? No. I'm a writer not a singer. I'll use my voice to do rough demos but for anything else I'll be using pro singers. (Funds permitting). :)

Funds, there's the rub! :D

this thread is getting big.

A few years ago I absolutely loved my voice. I could listen to myself all day long. haha. Sad but true.

About 4 years ago I got in this habit of writing songs that were right at the very edge of my upper range - it was all head voice. This was fine for recording but when it came to live shows, I wouldn't last more than a couple of songs before losing it. To top it off, I started drinking....a lot. This caused me to get acid reflux and I developed nodules. Trying to sing now is somewhat painful and I've lost a lot of range.

My confidence went to shit and I quit the band I was in and have, basically, been hiding out. It's been hard to write because there are notes that I would like to hit now but can't. So I now I write in, mostly, my lower range.

Here's something I was working on the other night. Forgive all the reverb on this, it was about 3AM and my sleepy head thought it was just the right amount. haha.

Wow, I can't believe I've never posted in this thread. I've been singing since I was 8, including 20 years or so for a living, first as a folkie, then as the lead singer/rhythm guitarist of a series of bands, then as a singer songwriter. As I've gotten older, I've lost my falsetto, and about 2 octaves of my 4 octave range. When I in my teens, I could sing Grace Slick, Michael Jackson, or Queen. When I was in my 20's, I could sing Marty Balin, Paul McCartney or Neil Young. When I was in my 30's, I could sing Roger Daltrey, or Lindsay Buckingham. When I was in my 40's, I could sing The Eagles, or CSN. Now I'm in my 50's, and I can sing David Wilcox. My pitch is near perfect, and my technique is good, including my mic technique. That said, the sound of my voice makes my skin crawl every time I hear it outside of my own head. I've gotten over it.

I guess singing is like guitar playing, except you go to God's guitar store and he gives you the only one you're ever going to get. Then you can take care of it (or not), and you can learn to play it (or not). Some people get the Martin D-28, and some the Rogue. I got an Ovation with a straight neck. What the hell? My days of wowing people with high notes and acrobatic runs are gone along with 8-track cassettes and sock hops. I've become a story teller, because that's what I can do well as I age. I figure in my 60's, I will have worked my way down to Willie Nelson. You could do worse. If anyone really cares, the folks with good ears say that in my 20's, my voice was identical to Jonathan Edwards'.-Richie

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems like the best forum.

I have written lots of tunes, but I'm not a strong vocalist. I have recorded off and on with "real" singers on ocassion, and no, I haven't sold any records yet ( :eek: :D ).

Anyway...whether you are a singer or not, have you ever listened to yourself on tape and grown to hate your singing voice? That's where I'm at right now. I've been doing lots of takes on several tunes of late, and I just seem to hate it more and more. :eek:

Discuss!!!

[Short poll added.]
Have you ever considered vocal training? I'm in the same boat, started out with NO technique and I have since worked with 2 vocal coaches. For myself, I was using the wrong parts of my voice and the wrong ranges. Things have got more comfortable and I'm starting to write for my voice (which is a bass/baritone instead of a tenor - like most people)

this thread is getting big.

A few years ago I absolutely loved my voice. I could listen to myself all day long. haha. Sad but true.

About 4 years ago I got in this habit of writing songs that were right at the very edge of my upper range - it was all head voice. This was fine for recording but when it came to live shows, I wouldn't last more than a couple of songs before losing it. To top it off, I started drinking....a lot. This caused me to get acid reflux and I developed nodules. Trying to sing now is somewhat painful and I've lost a lot of range.

My confidence went to shit and I quit the band I was in and have, basically, been hiding out. It's been hard to write because there are notes that I would like to hit now but can't. So I now I write in, mostly, my lower range.

Here's something I was working on the other night. Forgive all the reverb on this, it was about 3AM and my sleepy head thought it was just the right amount. haha.

Nice Song!

I used to love my voice. Not so much anymore. Old friends, my gf say they miss the open mic nights with me. I tell them why and they laugh. Told me to get over myself. Basically i just got to get over myself.

I know i have/had a decent voice. I just got stage fright a few years ago due to having my wisdom teeth removed. The losers cracked some bones in my lower left sinus cavity and elsewhere. The surgeons are denying this to the bitter end where as my Family Doctor has xrays taken 3 days after the Surgery and comparison xrays 9 months prior from a skateboarding accident (no i wasnt wearing a helmet) Ol toothy McSurgeon is claimng the 'Pre Existing' skateboarding injury just needed the extra tweak from wisdom teeth removal to create my current issue. Fault Free. losers.

The sinus crack took for ever to heal. Also healed incorrectly and it has forever changed my sound. Which now has a slight nasaly tone to it. I cant seem to correct it. So i usually now just sing alone in the basement or in the car. People must think im crazy.

But i am slowly gaining the confidence back and am working on new material which id like to have some up sooner then later.

Havent touched vox yet. Ha HAWe shall see how it pans out lol.

What an interesting thread. I notice that of all the respondents only 10 percent of people like their own voice.
The remainder question their own sound in some form or other.
I answered that I hate my voice.
When I was young I sang quite a bit with a rockabilly group and had heard myself on tape recordings. That was back in the 50's and I didn't mind my singing, and others seemed to like it.
But today it's a different thing.
I sing with a group of old guys like me, mostly in nursing homes.
I thought I was doing OK until I recorded a song recently and heard myself for the first time in years.
God it was awful.
I think all those folks in nursing homes who seemed to enjoy my performances must have lost their hearing abilities to the same degree that I lost my ability to sing.
Last week I recorded "I wish I was 18 again."
My conclusion: I wish I was 18 again.
I'd post it, but I don't know how, and I don't want to inflict pain on others who still have good ears.
Cheers
Ed

Last week I recorded "I wish I was 18 again."
My conclusion: I wish I was 18 again.
I'd post it, but I don't know how, and I don't want to inflict pain on others who still have good ears.

Too bad, I would love to hear it, Ed.

-Mike

... That's why the big artists sell so well. They somehow put together the following elements (not in order of priority, and I may be missing a few):

1. Great song (that comes first above and beyond anything else).
2. Great technical playing (guitar, piano, etc. Hit the right notes at the right time and try not to miss---I miss constantly).
3. Great voice that matches the song.

4. Marketing or publishing; getting people to hear you through performing or recording.

5. Good recording technique (the sounds in the mind seldom match that finished product, do they?).

6. Luck.

And maybe a touch of God's help, eh?

Main one you're missing is the most important one - money.

If you had several million you could make any song the #1 song, as a matter of fact you could probably fart into a $20 cassette deck and make that the #1 song if you had the money to pay off everyone.

Sad to say, in 2009 the industry is sick and it has little to do with anything us musicians want it to. Most of the time the money isn't even from music, it's from some other industry. I've always suspected it was largely from marijuana sales, other drugs too, but largely marijuana.

Last edited:
Now I'm in my 50's, and I can sing David Wilcox.
I love David Wilcox! What a nice guy. I got to meet him a couple of times. Very down to earth, and slightly shy.

I voted in the middle, because though I think I have decent tone for a female voice, I lack the ability to be skillful with the stuff I know I should do, or would like to do, and the experience to be over all of that, and just truly sing from my heart for anyone but myself, or my kids when they were too young to care. But, on the up side of all of that insecurity is the fact that I'm getting to know my weaknesses and strengths, and finding that it's helping me improve!! Yay!

I love my voice, it works great for the style of music I enjoy writing, though it has it's limits when I want to expand into different genres.

I don't always love my recorded voice though...still working on that :)

I started singing scales together with keyboard 8 months ago and I think it helps me stay on key. I record my singing and listen to it, find ways to improve. I never thought myself a good singer but now my neighbors are telling me that I have a good voice. Maybe daily practice is helping me.

It took me years to build up the confidence to sing in front of people, and even more to actually learn how to sing well enough to want to do it.

I am at point now where I have a pretty decent range, and I can sing harmonies and backing vocals fairly well. It's the lead I have trouble with most.

Best advise I can give is to keep singing and don't get down on yourself if it's bad, confidence doesn't just apply to singing in front of people. Getting to the root of how you want something to sound, and to sing it with passion is the hardest part, and confidence in your voice will lead to you becoming a great singer.

A lot of people have amazing voices but can't sing for shit, and the opposite is true. Bob Dylan doesn't have the greatest voice, but you can tell he means what he's singing.

http://www.4shared.com/file/129268843/e0694fbf/Burn_the_Cathedral__MASTER_.html

When I was about 21, my voice was evaluated by Horst Gunter (operatic baritone).
He was visiting a student recital primarily to listen to two other singers getting ready
to go to Italy aiming for the small opera houses.

My voice teacher was totally surprised when Horst started focusing on my voice over the
MUCH more technically advanced classically trained vocalists.
He basically said, yes Chris' voice is technically "low level", but the tone is exceptional.

Meaning the technical aspect can be properly trained with a LOT of work, ultimately though
a voice either "has it or not" for melodic material (ain't talk-in AC/DC here-love em though).

Anyway...

I like my voice (high baritone), but realize I need to take responsibility for pilot error.

Chris

P.S. So don't take your voice instructor's opinion as gospel!

I loathe my voice and never play it back without adding a little warmth.
I try to be as analytical as I can when editing and tune out the fact that it's me I'm hearing.
Sometimes though, I just can't take it.

"I could have been a famous singer/if I had someone else's voice./BUt failure's always sounded better/Let's fuck it up, boys, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!"

- Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)

I think that's pretty much where I'm at. I was really self concious for a long time. Then I started to just be ok with being me. I think a lot of it has to do with what type of music you do. I could never be a professional opera singer. But a professional opera singer could never do my stuff justice. So I'm ok with it. Also the more I sing the "better" I get, so it all works out.

Back