Do you know how to recreate this in a DAW?

JMac52

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this...

I'm looking for suggestions on how to recreate this effect from The Cars' "Moving in Stereo":

View attachment Moving in Stereo Tone Sweep.mp3

I think there's a number of oscillators running and a filter is being swept across them. It is periodic (and continues throughout the song), but the sweep rate doesn't appear to be linear within each cycle. There's also what sounds like mains hum that would be nice to include.

Why I'm asking, if anybody cares, is I got a wild-hare idea to try to reproduce a "classic" track and see how close I can get using soft synths, amp sims, and virtual drums. I'm not sure why I picked this one - maybe I've always been hooked by that effect, or the silly stereo panning, or the use of the word "tremolo". Right now I have the drum pattern (which fortunately for me is very simple) and a few of the synth patches within tweaking distance, and I'm in the process of learning/rehearsing the guitar parts before I sit down to record them.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

J

wanna red me on that Mr Mod?

I am not sure what your deal is, and I find much of the posts you have given here to be arrogant and not all that factual. The fact that something exists does not make it ideal. Don't even quote Wikipedia ever as it is full of BS.

By the way, I am actually a mod here. How about you stop trying to be the 'know-er' of everything and realize that you are surrounded by members who may
have as much or more experience than you do.

Here, have some green and start over. This is a great place to learn. If you feel you know everything already, then this is not the place for you dood.

Last edited:
First find the matching waveform (sine, sawtooth or whatever it is) and initial pitch (A 440?), then use a couple of LFOs to control the pitch: a pretty slow one with a lot of sweep and a faster one with less sweep. It sounds like one and a half cycles of the slow deep pitch shift, up and down a full octave at about 0.15 Hz, and the faster one a semitone or so up and down at around 2 Hz. A spectrum analyzer would help. Then apply reverb.

I Agree some. Thanks. Will add more facts next time. But sometimes is good to understand in simple terms. Cheers.

I am not sure what your deal is, and I find much of the posts you have given here to be arrogant and not all that factual. The fact that something exists does not make it ideal. Don't even quote Wikipedia ever as it is full of BS.

By the way, I am actually a mod here. How about you stop trying to be the 'know-er' of everything and realize that you are surrounded by members who may
have as much or more experience than you do.

Here, have some green and start over. This is a great place to learn. If you feel you know everything already, then this is not the place for you dood.

First find the matching waveform (sine, sawtooth or whatever it is) and initial pitch (A 440?), then use a couple of LFOs to control the pitch: a pretty slow one with a lot of sweep and a faster one with less sweep. It sounds like one and a half cycles of the slow deep pitch shift, up and down a full octave at about 0.15 Hz, and the faster one a semitone or so up and down at around 2 Hz. A spectrum analyzer would help. Then apply reverb.

Thanks, this sounds like a promising path. Looking at the spectrum analyzer, I think there may be multiple tone generators. Or, the LFOs are sweeping through the harmonics of a fundamental - I see a constant tone around 240 Hz. Anyways, it will be fun learning and playing around.

J

i heard that it was done with an Arp Omni, a phaser and some reverb. i have no clue how to set that up though. i would be looking a virtual version of that synth though.

I've made some progress on this. I have 2 oscillators going to a ring modulator (one is a side chain). That gives the drone-ish tone. The output of the ring modulator is going to a filter sweep. Adding white noise gives that whoosh and reverb gives it, well, reverberation.

So those seem to be the ingredients, now I have to figure out the right amounts, primarily filter cutoff, resonance, and the LFO frequency (the LFO section in Logic's AutoFilter is kind of confusing).

I will post something if I get anything close.

I don't think this is something that could have been done entirely on an Arp Omni...

J

Back