Do you feel like a songwriter?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
these days, not me. I worry more about keeping my carpentry job going than getting a song down. that's life i guess. "hey, why don't you write a song about it" -sorry just had to say that so you won't have to.

I'm still playing. seems like it's getting powerfull again. It's still the same rotation of songs though, kinda frustrates me, but i don't sweat it. Cuz really if I could play it and sing it all perfectly that'd be sweet enough. The most recent song that has stuck around enough to be complete is about a year old now. Still perfecting it. Sometimes it takes that. Those are the songs I'm looking for. the good ones. It almost seems like I try to pre-empt myself from writing mediocre songs, more like I'm lazy, but ah well, it feels good to be a slacker. hmm, so maybe, instead of songer/songwriter, I gotta lable myself slacker/songwriter. :D sounds good. gotta head cold, excuse enough to miss another open mic tonite, haven't done that in so long, can't go in injured after so long though. Ran through some songs at about 6 PM... testing the waters. A little to murky tonite. Maybe tomorrow. Seems there's some open mic every night of the week in this town. Open mics are such a love/hate thing, mostly they are horrible, easier than booking your own gigs though. :) to play:

the same old songs

"hello old friend, imagine seeing you here,"
i said. "hey how have you been?" he says,
"I can't remember your name"
hey hey
hey hey hey
isn't that always the case
with old friends?
"well I tell you these days,
when I look into the mirror,
I don't even recognize myself.
I don't even know who I am."
hey hey hey
alright
he says "I haven't seen you around the scene."
"well, I just had to walk out of that,
but i think now it's time
I got myself back downtown."
hey hey hey
alright
get back downtown
alright
...well, you say you're so bored,
and oh so sad.
well I tell you my friend,
I can relate to that
hey hey.
hey hey hey.
alright.
hey hey.

you say it's all the same.
you play the same old chords.
and sing the same damn songs,
in the same old bars.
you say it's all the same
you play the same old chords.
and sing the same damn songs,
in the same old bars.

So what's this? When your songs start to reflect back on your own writing habits, is that it? Is there anywhere to go from there? I'd say yes, but it's hard to say something relevant when you feel so... irrelevant. but it's dosen't have to be you know. hey hey. alright. hey hey hey.

instead, tonite i trek on over the half block to see "punch drunk love" What a great movie. Adam Sandler gets on my nerves for the most part, but his character here is so great that you don't see him as Adam Sandler. Some scenes you would swear he's a great actor. Emily Watson is so fucking cool, I love her in anything, all the chemistry there seems to just radiate off of her, those eyes.

man sometimes it's hard to keep writing. to keep going in this round about way, not getting to the point but just finding it whereever. and you can't really stop there or here.

hey hey.
alright.
back downtown.

SO how much can you isolate yourself? I can't be the only one. Get home, sit down at the computer, surfs some favorite sites. The world immediately around the desk piling up with emptty cigarette boxes that aren't even there, dirty glasses that aren't even there, the humm of fans that aren't even there. This funny artifical world that is supposed to be so helpfull. Sometimes it scares me how disconnected from the air i feel, and how so connected to the ether. but, that is where were are right? and this! is valid, right? surely this! is valid. no smoke, just mirrors.

And the world is at war, or soon will be. Or isn't that just all smoke?

What else could there be to say? when so much in the world is just so beyond words. It's all people, and sentences, that make pargraphs, that form pages, of books. Volumes and volumes, paragraph after paragraph. hey look! I'm on page 47, er... no wait, that was someone else, someone just like me, I just got the syntax wrong.

nite.

Dude,
I kinda felt like I was on page 47 reading your post............
Uh....been drinkin or sumpin?

bd :D

that was a bit of a rambling post, though i can relate.

to answer the question in the topic, i'm not quite sure what songwriters are supposed to feel like. i write songs, and i love music.

lol.

i started the post. went ot the movie, came back and typed some more and was dozing off at the computer. Managed to will myself to hit sumbit somehow and was off to bed. No wonder it really didn't make anysense. :D

Have you seen Magnolia? That was the movie Paul Thomas Anderson did before Punch Drunk Love. Both are stunning!

Back