Do these do the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way better than I expected. Sounds like what it is, I'm with Rob on mic placement and distance although I think what you got is plenty workable, if boomy. Heard much much worse. Needs a high pass filter,. and some room treatment,. lol. What would you like to hear different?

I would like more high-end naturally, right now it sounds very murky. I want it to have more brilliance and clarity. This recording is with the mic placed at my 12th fret and 5-6 inches away from the guitar. It still sounds pretty much the same the further I move from the mic. Also, removing pillows from the sides doesn't make a dramatic difference. And completely without pillows, even behind the mic, sounds like garbage.

EQ'ing the take, it sounds best when I've completely removed low end and tuned high end up to the max. Let me show you my mixed version, too. It's alright I guess but it's just not quite there yet. https://soundcloud.com/atibingler/with-eq

You want more high end?
Damn....Put all the foam and pillows and crap in the bin then :facepalm:
All they're going to do is reduce the high end room reflections.

Beyond that, how does the guitar sound in the room? If it isn't crisp and bright then you shouldn't expect the recording to be.

Last edited:
What he said... ditch the pillows. Mic @ about a foot in the same place and record with your high pass(low cut, same thing)filter on. Should be close to the channel gain in your daw, its represented with a symbol that looks kinda like this. /---. Record that and post it up.

Hey guys,

I couldn't find any store that sells polyester batting that I could stuff inside quilt covers like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np-dyi0wWRQ @3:20

But instead I found a sheet made of polyester, that looks something like this:

ofelia-huopa__0251009_PE389606_S4.JPG

ofelia-huopa__81189_PE205764_S4.JPG

It's 80% polyester and 20% acryl. Does it still absorb sound quite well too despite the acryl? The outer pattern being quite rough too, doesn't it absorb more sound than if it was flat?

Why do you insist on treating your room with materials from Target?

Because I've got to do something and room acoustics like panels on the walls is not an option for me, so I'm trying to do the same thing the founder of Rode (mind you) advises me to do, making a good-sounding room fast and easily. That's got to be better than my current setup with pillows and clothes, right? Again, I'm only looking to do a recording space, I couldn't give two sh!ts about mixing, its easy and i dont need room treatment for that. And this video shows me how to get a good sounding room, not a good sounding mixing spot. Perfect for me, right?

And since I can't seem to find polyester batting I just wanted to ask if you guys know if those "materials from Target" I posted above would be a good substitute?

Because I've got to do something and room acoustics like panels on the walls is not an option for me, so I'm trying to do the same thing the founder of Rode would do. Problem?

Yeah it's a problem because it's silly. It's a problem because it's just perpetuating shit advice. But go ahead knock yourself out because "the founder of rode" tricked you into thinking it works well. Why are you even asking about it in here if "the founder of rode" already has you straightened out?

But think about this....how many real studios have sound treatment done by Linens and Things?

By the way, I'm not trying to be mean to you. I'm really not. I know the n00b section is a sensitive place. I'm just saying you've made like three threads about this and have had tons of people giving you opinions yet you ignore it all. There comes a time when common sense has to prevail.

You want more high end?
Damn....Put all the foam and pillows and crap in the bin then :facepalm:
All they're going to do is reduce the high end room reflections.

Beyond that, how does the guitar sound in the room? If it isn't crisp and bright then you shouldn't expect the recording to be.

What he said... ditch the pillows. Mic @ about a foot in the same place and record with your high pass(low cut, same thing)filter on. Should be close to the channel gain in your daw, its represented with a symbol that looks kinda like this. /---. Record that and post it up.

Have you just chosen to ignore us?
If your recordings aren't bright enough then padding and dampening is not what you need.

Have you just chosen to ignore us?
If your recordings aren't bright enough then padding and dampening is not what you need.

No, not at all, Mr. Honorary Fart,

I read your advice but like I said room treatment with panels isn't a possibility for me. There are windows on the places where they're supposed to hang so it's impossible to hang the panels there, it would just be too much hassle. But surely the cheap & easy vocal booth in the video is better than my setup with pillows around the mic? I'm just looking to get a good basic recording area, not a perfect acoustically treated room for mixing purposes and crap.

View attachment 89926

Surely this is better than pillows forming a box around the mic? And surely it's better than a completely barebones room with no treatment (which is what would happen if I removed the pillows around the mic). Surely this simple room treatment will improve my takes, without having to spend in expensive, ugly, and clumsy acoustic treatment?

Last edited:
You didn't read all the advice, my friend.

I would like more high-end naturally, right now it sounds very murky. I want it to have more brilliance and clarity.

Your complaint is that your guitar recordings aren't bright enough, yes?

The FIRST thing to do is get rid of all the pillows, blankets, sheets etc and try recording again.
Do that, listen to it, post it here (please) and take it from there.

Also, please answer what this guitar sounds like to you, in the room.
If it sounds dull then you're seriously on the wrong path here.

You didn't read all the advice, my friend.

Your complaint is that your guitar recordings aren't bright enough, yes?

The FIRST thing to do is get rid of all the pillows, blankets, sheets etc and try recording again.
Do that, listen to it, post it here (please) and take it from there.

Also, please answer what this guitar sounds like to you, in the room.
If it sounds dull then you're seriously on the wrong path here.
I already said there isn't a notable difference if I remove the pillows.

I admit I could've posted a demonstration, I'll do that right now

https://soundcloud.com/atibingler/comparison

First one is with pillows around, and around the middle forward is without pillows, in a completely non-treated room. You'll hear a subtle difference but as you can see it's nothing major. It's still murky.

To answer your question about my guitar, well it's my brother's, I didn't know what it was, but i looked it up now

Acoustics AEL - AEL207E | Ibanez guitars

"The AEL is Ibanez's largest acoustic guitar body and is an excellent choice for players who want an expansive, natural acoustic sound. Plugged in, the AEL has Fishman® electronics delivering a sweet cascade of acoustic tones, never harsh or tinny, ready for any stage."

Apparently it's Ibanez' acoustic guitar with the largest body (doesnt this mean boominess)? If so.. DAMNIT :facepalm:

First thing I'd suggest is put some new strings on the guitar if you want a bright sound. Those strings sound dead.

First thing I'd suggest is put some new strings on the guitar if you want a bright sound. Those strings sound dead.

Hey, i'm looking at your signature

"Cheap Computer - Cheap Mic - Cheap Preamp - Cheap Instruments - Getting the job done!"

How do you handle room acoustics?

https://soundcloud.com/atibingler/comparison

First one is with pillows around, and around the middle forward is without pillows, in a completely non-treated room. You'll hear a subtle difference but as you can see it's nothing major. It's still murky.

The first sounds absolutely fine to me.
You'll notice the the difference between them is in low mids/lows. Not high end?

In my opinion, the eq clip you posted is waaaay too bright anyway. I think you're aiming for something unnaturally harsh instead of something nice and natural.

You been adamant that you don't need a treated mixing environment but think about it.
How do you know how any of these clips really sound?

Thanks for helping me, Old Fart, you rule

The first sounds absolutely fine to me.
You'll notice the difference between them is in low mids/lows. Not high end?

Yeah, should I move further away from the mic then? But if I do that the room echo kicks in and it's garbage. Don't you think that creating a small recording space like in the RODE -video could sound better than an untreated room with tons of reflections?? (just worse and worse the further from the mic i record)

You been adamant that you don't need a treated mixing environment but think about it.
How do you know how any of these clips really sound?
Honestly I don't care what they sound like on studio speakers or other studio gear, I mean people don't go around listening to music with studio headphones. I've never had any problems mixing with just a cheap set of casual headphons/plugs, which are what people actually listen to music with. So as long as it sounds good on what people listen to music to normally, it's fine for me. That's why I dont give a damn about a perfect mixing space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back