Do The Advancements in Sound Manipulation Technology Cheapen Popular Music?

Resurrect

So, I know the title of this thread sounds supiciously like troll fodder. Forgive me, as that is not my intent. I'm supposed to write a paper for English class on a debate involving technology. Seeing as how my favorite hobby is home recording, I figured I write about that. But, I want to hear more people than just myself, and maybe get a clearer picture of the issue before I write a paper on it.

So what do you think? Nowadays there is an incredible depth of resources available. From free and easy DAW's to Drum Repacement Software, to MIDI, to vst plugins... the list is endless. And while I'm incredibly thankful for all of this, I've noticed a massive trend toward a cheap and easy kind of music nowadays. All the popular hits by contemporary artists are pretty much empty of any real meaning, with catchy beats and synthy sound effects. Of course, you can't make massive across the board statements, but in general it seems that even the pro's (Maybe especially the pro's) have taken to the shortcuts and easy fixes. And popular music has lost its ability to speak. Now it babbles incoherent noise. At least, that's my opinion.

Anybody care to weigh in? Maybe give me a brilliant paragraph or two that will get me an A? lol.;)

Short cuts are usually about budget. When the money leaves the market, you simply can't justify sitting in a studio for 9 months at $5000/day, or hiring an orchestra and/or a raft of studio musicians.

Also, in the 60's, only studio musicians would get recorded. This was the shortcut they used in order to keep the music flowing.

As far as music that has no meaning, I would like to point you in the direction of "Space Truckin'", "Tootie Fruity", "Blind in Texas", etc... I could go on, but the 'meaning' behind songs is generally assigned by the listener. I remember being inspired by Wasp's "F**k Like a Beast", but I'm sure the lyrics are pretty meaningless.

It doesn't cheapen the music. Music is cheap or isn't no matter how it's recorded. It just cheapens the recording, enables mediocrity, and further marginalizes people that can actually record music without the tricks an gizmos.

Shallow music has abounded in ever era. It is not necessarily a function of musical technology.

Current technology makes it easier to create cheap music, so there is a lot more of it about.

So, I know the title of this thread sounds supiciously like troll fodder. Forgive me, as that is not my intent. I'm supposed to write a paper for English class on a debate involving technology. Seeing as how my favorite hobby is home recording, I figured I write about that. But, I want to hear more people than just myself, and maybe get a clearer picture of the issue before I write a paper on it.

So what do you think? Nowadays there is an incredible depth of resources available. From free and easy DAW's to Drum Repacement Software, to MIDI, to vst plugins... the list is endless. And while I'm incredibly thankful for all of this, I've noticed a massive trend toward a cheap and easy kind of music nowadays. All the popular hits by contemporary artists are pretty much empty of any real meaning, with catchy beats and synthy sound effects. Of course, you can't make massive across the board statements, but in general it seems that even the pro's (Maybe especially the pro's) have taken to the shortcuts and easy fixes. And popular music has lost its ability to speak. Now it babbles incoherent noise. At least, that's my opinion.

Anybody care to weigh in? Maybe give me a brilliant paragraph or two that will get me an A? lol.;)

Nah, what I think you're talking about is a result of the one-two punch of the death of physical product (ie music becoming free), and the changing priorities of the yoof.

Shallow music has abounded in ever era. It is not necessarily a function of musical technology.

Current technology makes it easier to create cheap music, so there is a lot more of it about.

I would even add to this:

Oh! Susanna: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_Susanna
Blue Suede Shoes
Surfin' USA (Which the Beach Boys didn't play on, just sang)
The Monkees
The Archies
Disco
99% of the music from the 80's

Now there is more amateur music out there because you can do a lot for less money.

Companies pushing non-musician/singers/songwriters who haven't actually worked to hone their craft cheapens pop music, but as has been said, these are old games the industry has been playing. I can't be bothered to pay attention, these days.

Live concerts by auto tune performers and lip syncing only reinforce the lack of real talented singers.
I would rather watch a singer stand there like a statue and belt out a memorable performance.
There's still lots out there but no one in the top 10 of income.

Its certainly cheapened recorded music - I don't think the general public give enough of a shit about music to actually pay for it anymore.

I think it adds value to good quality live perfomance though; I think we're heading to recorded music being virtually given away as a means of promoting live performance.

All popular music has pushed and used the latest technology. Its no different now than it was decades ago.

I think how music is purchased is changing, at the moment it looks like streaming. Other than collecting some rare soul vinyl, and the odd album on itunes, most of my music is from my pandora subscription, or seriusxm in the car. That way I can tailor the listening experience to my taste (or lack of) by genre or band. For the time being I think its the way itll go.

I was a regular concert goer until my kids were born, the last one I went to was Muse at Madidon square gdns, spent $350 on tickets for me and the then pregnant wife only to have some drunk oik throwup in front of us during the second song. Smelled vomit for the entire gig...at least watching people squeeze by and slip in it was amusing fir 15mins or so. Dont miss live gigs now.

I think we're heading to recorded music being virtually given away as a means of promoting live performance.

I think we're heading to musicians paying listeners to sit through their stuff. It's already happening and getting more lucrative all the time.

I think we're heading to musicians paying listeners to sit through their stuff. It's already happening and getting more lucrative all the time.

It happens all the time. All bands do it. They pay for gear, gas, practice rooms, recording, etc, and get nothing back. That's why I laugh at these idiot local bands that go "on tour". They hemorrhage money and get nothing in return. The "go on tour to build an audience" logic is sad and outdated now. It's just a fantasy. They can't build a crowd in their home town, what makes them think they'll draw anyone in a town that's never heard of them? It's stupid. There is no upside.

It happens all the time. All bands do it. They pay for gear, gas, practice rooms, recording, etc, and get nothing back. That's why I laugh at these idiot local bands that go "on tour". They hemorrhage money and get nothing in return. The "go on tour to build an audience" logic is sad and outdated now. It's just a fantasy. They can't build a crowd in their home town, what makes them think they'll draw anyone in a town that's never heard of them? It's stupid. There is no upside.

I don't know, I'm seriously thinking of starting one of those pay-for-a-review blogs. Seems like there's some $$$ in tricking musicians into thinking someone's out there listening, but maybe that's also a pipe dream.

I don't know, I'm seriously thinking of starting one of those pay-for-a-review blogs. Seems like there's some $$$ in tricking musicians into thinking someone's out there listening, but maybe that's also a pipe dream.

No that might work because everyone can make money off music as long as you're not the creator or performer.

They can't build a crowd in their home town, what makes them think they'll draw anyone in a town that's never heard of them? It's stupid.

Well, music's an expensive hobby... but to be fair to those bands, you do have a better chance of someone actually taking your stuff seriously if they know nothing about you, rather than when you're playing around town for mom, dad, and your work/school buddies.. not *much* better, but at least there's nothing stopping someone from thinking you're for real- like familiarity.

No that might work because everyone can make money off music as long as you're not the creator or performer.

That's what I figure... good $$ in exploiting dreams. :)

Well, music's an expensive hobby... but to be fair to those bands, you do have a better chance of someone actually taking your stuff seriously if they know nothing about you, rather than when you're playing around town for mom, dad, and your work/school buddies.. not *much* better, but at least there's nothing stopping someone from thinking you're for real- like familiarity.

That's a fair point, but I see it the other way more often. Maybe because I'm in a gigging band myself, but when I play a local bill with bands on tour, I'm like "wtf is wrong with you idiots"? The crowds watch the bands they know and split for the unknown. Then if there is any money, the locals get the most because the touring band draws no one. I know I'm losing money most of the time, but at least I'm only driving 20 minutes home to sleep in my own house. My financial cost per gig is a few beers an a few drips of gas. I can make that back with my 30 dollar payday. A touring band goes in the hole deeper and deeper with every stop.

Back