Do some plugs throw phase out?

Bob's Mods

Has anyone noticed if there are some plugs that throw the phase out by 180 degrees when used? I've not paid attention to this as it is subtle. You really have to listen to hear the change so I've never given it much thought.

Bob the Mod

Has anyone noticed if there are some plugs that throw the phase out by 180 degrees when used? I've not paid attention to this as it is subtle. You really have to listen to hear the change so I've never given it much thought.
I've not directly discovered this with standard plugs, but I have found weirdness with some synth VSTis (e.g. Arturia's v2600) generating waveforms that are mirrored, DC shifted, or phase misaligned from what they are supposed to be. I wouldn't be surprised if some plugs produced similar distortions to the original signal.

It would be interesting to note just which ones do that, as the effect could potentially be more than just subtle. One example that jumps out at me is if one had a compressor that shifted polarity/phase and used that in a parallel compression setup with the original track.

G.

cant say for sure but would expect that it's only eq's that emulate analog devices... since that's the way analog eq's work... there's basicly 2 types of digital filter iir and fir.. cant remember which is which at the moment but one is the analog emulation...

A lot of plugs dont report latency correctly and a lot of hosts' PDC is garbage. Either one will cause you phase problems

Sometimes plugin latency can throw things out. I've had a plugin chain on a snare track thow the snare out by a whole crotchet beat before, so I don't suppose the miniscule delay required to throw two tracks out of phase is too difficult to achieve. I don't think a plugin would actually invert the phase of a track though.

I've detected phasing and other funky sound issues with some plugs. Mostly with freebies. If I think that I detect anything strange going on I just throw 'em out. There's too much good inexpensive and free stuff out there to fight with 'em.

I have noticed that some of the plug ins I use (sorry I can't recall the exact ones) will cause a 2-3 ms latency delay when inserted.

If I get Bob right, he's not talking about latency, which is rampant amongst digital systems. He's talking about probable polarity inversion.

G.

Back