Do most people stay with cakewalk ?

bob young

I'm asking because it seems to be the general consensus that the program on my machine (express 8) is hopelessly out of date.

Since I don't have alot of time invested in learning cakewalk, would you suggest I get a more modern version..or is there another system that's more user friendly.

The Hone Studio 2004 (XL ?) looks like it should do everything I need...

Is it the opinion of those of you versed in Cakewalk that this is "user friendly ?"

Do folks that start with one system (cakewalk for instance) generally stay with it......as time goes on and they upgrade, do they usually get more advanced Cakewalk programs or move to another system.

In the world of hardware, for instance, alot of us start out with names like Alesis and then move on to Lexicon etc.
I figure as long as I'm learning this stuff, I might as well learn a system I'm gonna stay with and not grow out of in a few months.

thanks

Bob

bob young said:
Is it the opinion of those of you versed in Cakewalk that this is "user friendly ?"
I started out with Cakewalk programs because I found them to be more user friendly than Cubase or Logic Audio. The programs grows on you in a way, the more you use them, the more you learn.

When I first tried a Cubase demo (years ago), I thought the program was too complicated. Everything had to be up front in the user-interface, making it hard to use.

I also tried Logic Audio, but after two days I still couln't get it to record.

I got the Cakewalk demo, and was off recording after 20 minutes. :)

Click here for a comparison between Sonar and Cubase.

bob young said:
Do folks that start with one system (cakewalk for instance) generally stay with it.....
I started out with Cakwalk Pro Audio 9, then SONAR 1 XL, 2XL and now 3 Producer....I have also tried demo versions of Cubase and Logic....but stayed with Cakewalk...

It depends on whether Cakewalk gives you what you need in the way of features.
If you do any type of MIDI type work I'd stick with Cakewalk if you enjoy the workflow. If you are like me and don't do a lick of sequencing or midi, no vstis or anything, but strictly audio only projects generally with high track counts, there are other programs that handle that better.

Cakewalk in all of its different incarnations has always been one of the easiest programs to use, which translates into a more productive work flow (and hopefully better projects)

Tom

Yes! Nothing better for me than Cakewalk. And I've done PC based DAW stuff for over ten years. Cakewalk grows like what we expect. And even though I'm having SONAR 3 now, I still use Cakewalk Pro 3 for simple MIDI work and happy with it most of the time.

Anyway, you MUST know what you need to pick your weapon. Don't upgrade because people said newer is better. Sometime, you must said "enough" when all your demands are served by some version. As long as compability issue allowed me, I'll stay with the old version unless I found I need something more advance for particular task. That's when I look for infos and upgrade as necessary here.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Anyway, you MUST know what you need to pick your weapon. Don't upgrade because people said newer is better. Sometime, you must said "enough" when all your demands are served by some version. As long as compability issue allowed me, I'll stay with the old version unless I found I need something more advance for particular task. That's when I look for infos and upgrade as necessary here.

In essence i agree with James (so listen to him) - but keep an eye on what's happening. Even if you do be aware that you won't know if you "need" something until you've tried it. When I went from Pro Audio 9 to Sonar 3 studio I knew pretty well what was waiting for me - some surprises (nearly all +) but not to much. Playing with it for a few weeks I now realize it will probably impact my creative process, my workflow and my music much more than I would have thought. Actually more than any single upgrade I've ever done since Cakewalk went Audio...

I've been a Cakewalker since DOS version 2 (Voyetra Sequencer plus before that). I've tried other software but Sonar is the best I've seen to date. I think I would have been happy with Home Studio - especially with a VST-DX adapter.

Without having any scientific proof - just experience and a feeling. I believe we Cakewalkers are very lojal, once you're in the Cakewalk camp you seem to stay - but that loyalty is there for a reason.

Thanks everybody...

I'm gonna go ahead and update to that Cakewalk home studio 2004 xl...reading the break-down, it really looks suited to what I need in a program.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your patience and help.

I'm a pretty smart guy and I've been in the music and recording biz for 40 years.

If there is ANYTHING you think I may be able to help you with, please give me a chance !

Thanks again

Bob Young

Before I go and and buy, I'd try out the demos of what is out there. SX, Sonar, Magix whatever. Just about all the audio/midi sequencers are going to have what you need. But the way they do things differ greatly.
I started with Cakewalk Home Studio Gold express. It came bundled with a soundblaster. At the time, I didn't know of anything else that would allow me to do what I wanted. Actually I didn't know that I wanted to do audio on a PC, until I loaded on my PC, and found out what it did.
I did go over to Logic a couple of years ago, and I honestly prefered it to ProAudio9. Then they sold out to apple, and I jumped onto the crossgrade. I looked at cubase, and there were things there that I also prefered. But there were more things that I liked about Sonar.(once again, it isn't what it does, they all do the same things, it is just the way they do it). I was about ready to get a mac, and go back to logic, when Sonar 3 came out, decided to try the upgrade. Glad I did. The only thing I really missed about logic was some of the bussing feature, and not having to wait for DXi versions. (The VST wrapper never worked right for me with 2.2)
But noe that I can truly design my own mixer in Sonar, I just need a faster PC, not a Mac.
Anyway, try the demos, I'd even say try reason Project5, and FLstudio Pro.

Started with Sonar2 and now use Sonar3. I was told by a Jr. Rockstar in a music store that Cakewalk is for kids as he told me of the virtues of Logic. I have the two and have been using Sonar. It is more than up to the task against logic. Since Cakewalk is now a player in this recording software stuff they shall always remain up to par with the rest. I will someday get a big mac with the expensive version of Pro Tools but I think I will always have a use for Sonar. I was messing around with a friend's MaC/ pro-Tools setup and was NOT blown away at all. I guess MAC users are a bit more proud of their machines but it didn't out perform my pc/ SONAR 3 setup at all. So I guess it is all about choices rather than performance>

I started with Cakewalk Guitar Studio, a few years ago and found it much more intuitive & friendly than cubase.
Then I upgraded to Guitar Tracks Pro which suits me as I don't use midi.
The beauty of Guitar tracks is you install it, and 5 minutes later you're recording

reflexa said:
I was told by a Jr. Rockstar in a music store that Cakewalk is for kids as he told me of the virtues of Logic.

Funny enough when I went to a Muisc store to buy Sonar, the guy who was selling it to me was a very keen Cubase fan. I had my heart set on buying Sonar until he put the question in my mind if Sonar was what I wanted to buy. The sales person was using an example of a crappy car compared to a BMW. My fathers response was but they will both get you there won't they? That stoped the store person in his tracks.. needless to say I bought the right package for me.. Sonar. I did have the choice of going Home Studio first but I bit the bullet thinking that in the future I will need more inputs etc.. but HS2004 solves all these problems.. but I'm still liking Sonar 3 Producer.

But as Jaymz said, the program grows on you.

bob, started recording in 1999/2000. My first deck was a Roland VS-840, which recorded onto Zip disks. In 3 years I've learn't more and more about recording. Cakewalk programs have never failed me, if it ain't broke, why fix it? except for upgrades with more features ;-)

Porter

reflexa said:
I was told by a Jr. Rockstar in a music store that Cakewalk is for kids as he told me of the virtues of Logic.
Typical salesman and Logic/Cubase user.

Most studios use macs (why I don't know, some people think they are better or something, but they crash just as often as PCs), and therefore Sonar is rouled out of the equation.

i've been a cakewalk user since DOS. i've tried other audio programs/sequencers just to see what i was missing. the only one i've stuck with is Magix/SEKD Samplitude Master because it does something sonar does not do... mastering and burn CDs.

use to be that the Mac platform was better for music because it was architectured for video and sound production. microsoft has since stepped up its efforts and over the years DirectX has gotten solid.

I can almost repeat every word said here. Been there, tried them all (demos), stayed with Sonar (still don't have the T-shirt though).

The Logic vs Sonar debate is endless, just like the analog vs digital. Some people can not change with time, others just get paid better commision.

Same here, decided if I could start recording easily out without having to look at the manual, and it did everything I need...

Most programs (Sonar, Cubase, Logic. N-tracks etc.) do almost everything. The questions (I think) are: what are the extras (do I need/want them), how easy is it to use and does it work well on my machine/with other software I use.

I have used Cakewalk since Cakewalk 3 or 4. Briefly tried Cubase because a salesperson was smarter than I and talked me into trying it.... Didn't work for me and I was back to Cakewalk within about 2 months. Sonar work for me.... unless there is a huge change, I'll stick with it.

The best advice was to download the demos and see if you like them (but start with Sonar.... of course!!!!)

Take Care

I've used Cakewalk for ages. Home Studio (like the first one I think, just midi, came on a floppy disk). Anyway recently I've been using home studio 2002 and really liked it. Then I bought a C Port and needed to be able to record more than 2 tracks at once, so I tried the e magic program that came with it, but still can't work out how to do anything in it. Now I'm using Sonar 2.2XL and can't see myself changing for a fair while.

I've been using Cakewalk since '93, the first Windows version, ran it on a 286 with a Advanced Gravis Ultrasound sound card, well before digital audio was part of it.

AlChuck said:
I've been using Cakewalk since '93, the first Windows version, ran it on a 286 with a Advanced Gravis Ultrasound sound card, well before digital audio was part of it.

Damn that was a long time ago.... how things change... :D

Back