do lyrics REALLY matter?

kinda speaks for itself:

the caption on YouTube for that vid says "The last photo is my grandfather working on his last pole in rural Middle Georgia before retirement in 1972".
Love that song. Great examples of clever lyrics from Jimmy Webb. However, for every song like that, there are lyrics like "Shambala" from Three Dog Night:

Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind
On the road to Shambala
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala

(repeat chorus)

How does your light shine, in the halls of Shambala (2xs)

I can tell my sister by the flowers in her eyes
On the road to Shambala
I can tell my brother by the flowers in his eyes
On the road to Shambala

(repeat chorus)

But I like this song too, mainly because of the overall 'feel' of the song. Not because of the lyrics!

-Mike

I guess it depends on your specialty. I am more songwriter than badass (insert instrument here) player, and always listen for lyrics. It irritates me when my wife tells me she likes certain rap songs for the "beat". I ask her, "do hear the horrible shit they are talking about in this song", and she replies "I don't even listen to what they are saying". I always assumed everyone listen to the lyrics, but I guess not.

It irritates me when my wife tells me she likes certain rap songs for the "beat". I ask her, "do hear the horrible shit they are talking about in this song", and she replies "I don't even listen to what they are saying". I always assumed everyone listen to the lyrics, but I guess not.

It may take those of us that like and listen to and work at lyrics a long time to grasp this, but alot of people, not so much don't listen to lyrics-they do- but don't look to lyrics for meaning or take them seriously. I think it was Keith Richards who said many years ago "You can't take a f**%ing record the way some people take a bible".

It may take those of us that like and listen to and work at lyrics a long time to grasp this, but alot of people, not so much don't listen to lyrics-they do- but don't look to lyrics for meaning or take them seriously. I think it was Keith Richards who said many years ago "You can't take a f**%ing record the way some people take a bible".

Yep . . . the words are there simply to a) provide a vocal sound for the track, and b) to reveal a melody line. In many cases, what's important is not the words, but the sounds of the words: "a ga doo doo doo, push pineapple, shake the tree" etc.

BTW, anyone who reads Harry Harrison is ok by me!

Back