do I use a desser after compression or after eq?

I'd probably do it in this order:
noise-gate -> de-esser -> compressor -> EQ -> reverb
But I wouldn't say that there's a "right order".

alevy said:
My chain is eq,noise gate,compressor,reverb,then the deesser. Is that the right order.
I'd say no.... your "chain" should be different for every context.... if something is not used in a particular application, it has no business being in the chain......

ragata said:
noise-gate -> de-esser -> compressor -> EQ -> reverb

I'd agree with this, as long as the track needs it. Like Bear said, no need to put it on there if you don't feel it needs it. And I'd put the reverb on an aux track and buss the signal to there prefader.

Wouldn't you want the compressor before de-ess? My reasoning is to have the larger level changes evened out so the de-ess threshold can be more moderate.
Not that I uses it all that often though...
Wayne

mixsit said:
Wouldn't you want the compressor before de-ess? My reasoning is to have the larger level changes evened out so the de-ess threshold can be more moderate.
Not that I uses it all that often though...
Wayne
To work well, the de-esser needs to be able to catch the sibilant peaks... if you compress first, the peaks are far less obvious to the de-esser and it won't be effective....

Last edited:
I Think Thats What Happened To Me.... Thus The Purpose Of This Post. I Had My Threshold Super Low On The Deesser And It Was If It Didnt Effect Anything. It Was Because It Was After The Compressor. Wow. That Makes A Lot Of Sense Now. Lol

I would have thought to put the deesser at the end of the chain so that any EQ boosts are caught by the deesser rather than deessing then boosting the EQ and getting sssss's again.
Ive never been able to use the de-esser plug-in well, it just makes my vox sound muddy. I love the de-esser on the Boss BR1180 though!!! it gets rid of sss's really well without changing the tone much.

ecktronic said:
I would have thought to put the deesser at the end of the chain so that any EQ boosts are caught by the deesser rather than deessing then boosting the EQ and getting sssss's again.
Ive never been able to use the de-esser plug-in well, it just makes my vox sound muddy. I love the de-esser on the Boss BR1180 though!!! it gets rid of sss's really well without changing the tone much.

well a desser helps you find the high frequencies....like 7kHz on up. You might not always EQ the vocalist at those frequencies since they usually don't get that high (that's why the sibiliance resides in that area). A general rule I follow....correct before adding. in other words, correct mistakes in the sound before adding effects to boost the sound. You remove sibilance, that annoying ringing noise coming from somewhere, rumbling of the A/C, etc. BEFORE adding EQ to complement the instrument.

well, I agree to some degree with benny-- but the freq. that a desser reduces aren't always 7k and up. I often use it to smooth out s's lower, around 5k, and not always a shelving thing, often i use a narrower band. listen to just the sidechain (the freq. that you're going to stomp down), find the ones that are the most harsh, and center your desser there. sometimes, you'll find you'll need to use it like a low-pass and bring down all of the higher frequencies.

Blue Bear Sound said:
To work well, the de-esser needs to be able to ctach the sibilance peaks... if you compress first, the peaks are far less obvious to the de-esser and it won't be effective....

BINGO! Give this man a cigar.

bennychico11 said:
well a desser helps you find the high frequencies....like 7kHz on up. You might not always EQ the vocalist at those frequencies since they usually don't get that high (that's why the sibiliance resides in that area). A general rule I follow....correct before adding. in other words, correct mistakes in the sound before adding effects to boost the sound. You remove sibilance, that annoying ringing noise coming from somewhere, rumbling of the A/C, etc. BEFORE adding EQ to complement the instrument.
Ah yes.. unless you're going for those breathy-sizzle trails in the verb.. Remember that old Andy Williams sound... :D

Back