Do I really need a window?

KevinAltenburg

Some of my friends have commented on my lack of a window in the CR. I'm saving for a CCTV system because I think windows are not as practical as they used to be. Any thoughts?

Two way visual communication and direct eye contact is helpful. Not having that slight lag you get from digital video is nice but not critical. The angled surface of a properly done window can improve a room's sound (but so can some treatment in that spot). Fewer sources of potential interference seems generally preferable though it may not be a problem in practice.

Camera's will work up to a poont....but I like the idea of windows, because you can have eye-to-eye contact with each other, especially if you ever have a musician in the control room playing, while others are in the other room.

With the camera/monitor setup, rather than everyone looking at each other, you're all looking at the monitors and the camera's are looking at you. There's a bit of a disconnect there...

Oh without a doubt. The disconnect that anybody may feel though, I posit, may be similar to the feelings produced by the invention of Multi- tracking.

Well...if you're primarily multi-tracking one track at a time with one musician, it's not going to be a big deal....but if you have multiple players all tracking at the same time, I think the eye-contact can make a difference.

To sum up: essential, no (and a CCTV system helps) but nice to have if you can eventually arrange it. However, make sure you do it properly, both from a sound proofing and room acoustic point of view.

To sum up: essential, no (and a CCTV system helps) but nice to have if you can eventually arrange it. However, make sure you do it properly, both from a sound proofing and room acoustic point of view.

Yes, definitely. If there is an option to do it, IMO it is worth it. But in many rooms it isn't possible or just completely useless.

Back