Do I really need a pre-amp/mixer?

miracle whipkey

I have this computer setup:

AMD Athlon XP 1.7 ghz
256 mb DDR ram
20gig 7200rpm hard drive
GEForce 2 video card
Creative Audigy soundcard w/joystick-style midi interface

I bought Cakewalk HS 2002 XL to use as my recording software. I plan to do all percussion with sequences loops, record acoustic guitar and sometimes electric guitar, use some midi tracks for keyboard-piano type stuff, and record vocals.

My main question is for the stuff like vocals, guitar, and what-not: do I need to get some piece of hardware to plug into before it gets to the sound card, like a preamp or mixer or something. My soundcard has an 1/8 inch microphone jack, and I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Can I record microphone and DI stuff directly into the soundcard and get a good recording, or do I need a mixer-type item?

If I need something else, can you recommend anything inthe $50 range?

Well first off, you're not going to get very far with vocals/guitar without a microphone. you didn't list one ..... do you have one already? sm57/sm58 are staples, might get one used for $50, or new for 70 or so.

You *can* record direct to the mic input on your soundcard, *but* you'll probably grow out of the tone you get awful quick. The oft-recommended M-Audio Audiobuddy will run you about $80 as a starter preamp.

If you need cheaper than that, there's always radio shack ... but i'd save up before i sank to that.

thanks

Sorry, about the mic. I have a couple SM58's, which I would use for guitar recordings, and I have a good friend with an actual recording studio (not such a good friend that I can record for free :) ) and I can borrow fancier mic's for vocal recording. I also have a XLR-1/4" adapter, so pretty much any mic I get ahold of, I can use.

Any other recommendations on preamps? I'm prety decent at web-shopping. I built that entire system described above for only $450. I just need to know some brands and models to look for, since I am not that familiar with preamps.

Thanks.

The Audiobuddy seems to be a low budget favorite here.

I thought I should mention that, without a preamp, you can't use any mic you can borrow. Condensor microphones (good for vocals and acoustic guitar) need +48V phantom power supply, and even with an XLR adapter your Soundblaster soundcard isn't going to supply that.

The Audiobuddy or something similar will have superior microphone preamps to what is found in your SB, as well as providing phantom power for any mics you borrow that might need it.

Gotcha.

Sounds like the audiobuddy would be the way to go. I keep seeing the $80 tag in my searches, maybe I can just keep an eye out on Ebay.

I haven't learned how to even use Cakewalk yet, so I'll probably spend some time just getting the hang of that, and save up for the preamp.

Thanks for yawl's input.

Audio Buddy or Mixing Desk?

Alright, having read the forums and finding out my Audigy is crapola for recording (and I will be recording in a fashion almost identical to what's in this thread) - I've started the hunt for the Delta 44 at a reasonable price. So far so good. I like what I've seen and read about it.

Now, the next question: the Audio Buddy comes up a lot, but would it be a better investment to find a small mixing desk, or just do it all in software? There's nothing like analog controls but I already have CoolEdit Pro which will do the mixing for me, along with real-time effects (very Cool indeed).

I need phantom power for my SM-58, and the SM-57 is horrendous through the inputs on the Audigy drive, although I *reallY* like the front panel connections. With the Audio Buddy, I'm thinking I could get enough output level to actually make use of the Audigy drive. If that's a seriously flawed plan, please let me know now before I tear my hair out in frustration.

Thoughts from those who have traveled this road?

Ah yes, that would be why I have that Newbie label under my username. :D I anticipate needing phantom power down the road, as I dig deeper into the world of recording.

Just the same, I do need the preamp - I get terrible quality from my SM57 when recording most things, and I imagine it's because the levels are too low once they reach the (gasp!) Audigy's 1/4' input - even with the gain jacked all the way, it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can.

Another thing to think about for a good cheap preamp is one of ARTs tube preamp they also have phantom power and you can go directly inot the line in[ut of your sound card. Much better than going into the mic input!!

larry

i wouldn't say your audigy card is "crapola" ... it certainly doesn't sound as good as a delta, but with a real preamp running to the Line In, it should absolutely sound MUCH MUCH better than using the dinky mic input. honestly, until you've even heard what your 57 sounds like through a non-SB mic preamp into your audigy, keep your soundcard money in the bank.

Back