do i really need a monitor?

TRW

Hi people,

Do I really need studio monitors for my bedroom studio? The reasons being it's gonna be too loud in there and my roommate wont fancy that. Plus I know that I need to buy a pair of headphones for closed-ear monitoring, and it will cost extra money. I found a pair of Audio Technica Monitoring Headphones (that's what the packaging says) and it retails for around $200-ish so I wanna know if that should do the job of monitors and whether I have/dont have to buy one.

Thank you :)

The short (and often-told) answer: yes, you DO need monitors.

Headphones create a completely different acoustic space in your head, which means what sounds balanced in cans doesn't work in most rooms over speakers.

Cans are for tracking. Monitors are for mixing.

Best,
C.

I still remember getting my first pair of monitors... some Alesis MKIIs. Not bad really for the price, but I could immediately tell the difference.

Now, I used some Mackie monitors and they're f'in awesome... 200% better than the Alesis ones. I'm going to be installing the Alesis ones in my studio along with the mackies soon, plus another set of crappy speakers for reference monitoring.

So, in answer, yes... you do need monitors if you intend to do it seriously. I also use headphones as reference, but never mix fully through them.

Man, I knew it was gonna be the other way round. But thanks for answering. Gonna find me some decent monitors then.

Back