do i really need a mic pre?

xrap03

i was just wondering if i can get by with the mic pres on my 12/4 mg mixer. i'll buy one if i really need it. and if i do need one, which one should i get that's under 120 bucks? thanks for your help

It all depends on your definition of "get by".

Will the pres on that mixer work? Yes. Will they work as well as something more expensive? No. Will a quality seperate pre make a difference in your sound? Yes, if the rest of your signal chain holds up its end of the bargain as well.

Will those mixer pres make a good enough recording your you and yours to listen to, or maybe even for a simple demo to "get by" with? Perhaps, if your ears and expectations are not too critical. Will they make a good enough recording to equal the sound you have come to expect from commercial CDs or high-quality demos or indie releases? Almost certainly not.

G.

I prefer Drawmer, UA, Apogee, etc. but can't afford any of them. :p

What's your budget and how many do you need is probably as good a place as any to start narrowing down your choices.

G.

You wont believe the difference a mic pre will make for your recordings. Any mic pre will make a major jump up, from just plugging straight into your soundcard with a little 1/8 inch jack.

My first was a Mackie 1202 VLZ. There are much better and more affordable options out there now a-days. I recommened the Studio Projects VTB-1 - it's about 130 bucks. It'll get you started.

xrap03 said:
i found that mic pre at zzsounds for a 100 bucks, i just might get it

Yuk. Get the DMP-3 instead. Or, better yet, just stick with the Yammy for now. It's fun to buy new gear, but with only $120, it's going to be a bit of a waste.

true, don't downgrade from your mixer, you need to upgrade,
i wouldn't buy a $120 mic pre, don't think that can work better than what u got right now,
i'm saving up money to buy me a fatter preamp myself,
but right now i'm getting nice results with my second hand Symetrix 528,
god, i remember someone sold one for $130 with Buy it Now on ebay last week !!! you should have gotten that one, thats worth the money...
besides that i wouldn't know...

I think you should hang on to your cash for now and try to get the best out of what you have. Worry about upgrades once you know for sure what part of your chain is the limiting factor! Having said that, I keep buying gear despite it being plainly obvious that it's my room that is holding me back. :)

Hey Noisedude. This is your mother speaking.

TREAT YOUR ROOM!
:D :D :D

I'm in the same boat, as soon as I get a decent pre I've gotta look at treating the room properly.

with the recordings i've done with my 12/4 mg and my emu 1212m, i'm pretty satisfied only cause of with what i got. if i had alot more expensive equip, i'd be disappointed. my room treatment is pretty good i guress, i don't have any bass traps but i tried to used a 2x4 auralex studio foam instead for the time being. i got 96 sq ft coverd on my 10x10 ft room. plus, i got carpet and a couch in my studio to absorb a little bit more. i'll try to post up pictures as soon as i can. but thanks alot for your help. and i am saving up for bigger and better things, like a tascam 1082 or a firepod along with a seperate mic pre. thanks again.

corban said:
Hey Noisedude. This is your mother speaking.

TREAT YOUR ROOM!
:D :D :D

I'm in the same boat, as soon as I get a decent pre I've gotta look at treating the room properly.
Errr ... hi mum, hey, why don't you just go ahead and not search under my name here? I've used one or two rude words in my 4000+ posts. :)

You're right, Corban! Dammit dammit. :)

Back