Do I need to warm my mic's up before using?

danbs10

Hi, this may sound like a silly question, but this is why I'm posting in the "newbies" section.
I have 1x AKG C2000b condenser mic and 2x Shure SM57 dynamic mic's that I use to record acoustic guitar.
The question is do I need to warm these mic's up in order to get the best signal from them? If so then how and for how long? Is it just a case of plugging the mic's into my mixer before use or is there another way?
Also please keep the answer simple for me as I really do not understand all of the technical talk about microphones :-)

Many thanks

Dan

Hi, this may sound like a silly question, but this is why I'm posting in the "newbies" section.
I have 1x AKG C2000b condenser mic and 2x Shure SM57 dynamic mic's that I use to record acoustic guitar.
The question is do I need to warm these mic's up in order to get the best signal from them? If so then how and for how long? Is it just a case of plugging the mic's into my mixer before use or is there another way?
Also please keep the answer simple for me as I really do not understand all of the technical talk about microphones :-)

Many thanks

Dan

Hey Dan,

Maybe with tube mics people want them to warm up,
but with your condenser and dynamics I don't really think warming up is necessary. Unless of course youre bringing them into a new environment you might want to give them a few of minutes to adjust to the room temperature before plugging them in.

I agree. Only tube mics benefit from warming up. (Perhaps a half hour or so.) Dynamic mics like your 57 have nothing inside to warm up, [electrically speaking.] Current doesn't flow through it when it is not in use. So, it just sits there doing nothing.

Back