Do I need to record beats machines in MIDI?

Svemir

Hi guys/gals,

I have to buy a new audio interface and I'm thinkin to get the Focusrite but I'm undecided between the 2i2 and the 4i4, the difference is that the 4i4 has a MIDI in/out.
Since I'm also thinking to experiment with some beats machines like Korg ones, in order to record with that stuff do I need MIDI input/output in my audio interface?
I mean this stuff like synth and drum machines need to be recorded in MIDI?? I have only recorded guitars until now so no idea.
What do you suggest?

If its a VST then a midi controller would be of benefit. The AKAI MPD218 is a great choice.

The midi controllers are USB. A midi in/out port might no longer be needed.

Simple answer - do you have any MIDI equipped equipment that needs a MIDI in. I had 16 MIDI inputs five years ago. Now, they're not even connected - I don't need them anymore.

Do you want the sound of the synth or drum machine, or do you want to capture the performance?
Midi captures the performance, and you can use that performance to feed any virtual instrument or midi instrument you want in the future.
If you record the sound of the synth or drum machine, that is the sound you will have. If you want to change sounds, it needs to be re-performed.

So it all depends on your workflow and whether you want to choose your sounds now or later. Recording both gives you the most options.

A lot of equipment has midi via usb, so the interface connection is only necessary for equipment that only has the old-school connection. Besides, if you really need one and your interface doesn't have midi, there are midi to USB adapters on Amazon for $7. I've been using one of those in my studio for decades, it works just fine.

Do you want the sound of the synth or drum machine, or do you want to capture the performance?
Midi captures the performance, and you can use that performance to feed any virtual instrument or midi instrument you want in the future.
If you record the sound of the synth or drum machine, that is the sound you will have. If you want to change sounds, it needs to be re-performed.

So it all depends on your workflow and whether you want to choose your sounds now or later. Recording both gives you the most options.

A lot of equipment has midi via usb, so the interface connection is only necessary for equipment that only has the old-school connection. Besides, if you really need one and your interface doesn't have midi, there are midi to USB adapters on Amazon for $7. I've been using one of those in my studio for decades, it works just fine.
Got your point, so with Midi you can then edit the track after you recorded, without you just can’t. Clear. Not sure actually, maybe I won’t even need to edit or process midi after recording cause the kkorg I want to get shoud do everything I need. but the difference in price maybe doesn’t worth it, 130 vs 210 euros. Anyway the Korg I’m thinking to get is this one. 1636496009154.png

Got your point, so with Midi you can then edit the track after you recorded, without you just can’t. Clear. Not sure actually, maybe I won’t even need to edit or process midi after recording cause the kkorg I want to get shoud do everything I need. but the difference in price maybe doesn’t worth it, 130 vs 210 euros. Anyway the Korg I’m thinking to get is this one. View attachment 112722
This is a sound module. You'll need audio connections to get the sound into your computer. Midi connections are used to control the module with an external source like a DAW or controller. Midi is just data transfer. The Korg Voice series has a 3.5mm output. (the headphone jack.) You're going to to need a decent 3.5mm cable and a Y adapter going to 1/4" L/R. That's what you'll plug in to your interface. Then, you'll be recording the audio from the module into a track on your DAW. Hope that's helpful!

This is a sound module. You'll need audio connections to get the sound into your computer. Midi connections are used to control the module with an external source like a DAW or controller. Midi is just data transfer. The Korg Voice series has a 3.5mm output. (the headphone jack.) You're going to to need a decent 3.5mm cable and a Y adapter going to 1/4" L/R. That's what you'll plug in to your interface. Then, you'll be recording the audio from the module into a track on your DAW. Hope that's helpful!
You have been really helpful indeed. I thought somehow that with MIDI output you can record the MIDI format, and then change something and do edits in within the DAW. But actually I noticed that the MIDI plug in the Volca is a MIDI INPUT non output, so probably you can plug some keyboard or something else. While for the output there is only that Headphones plug, so I would need a 3.5mm that splits to 1/4 L/R as you said, so I need an interface with 2 inputs at least because it's stereo, correct?
I have an audio interface with only 1 input atm.
Thanks a lot for the tips.

The midi input is so you can program the performance in the daw and use the volca to generate the sounds. Like an outboard vst plugin.

If you did use the daw to create the midi performance, you could edit it to your hearts content. But since the volca doesn't have a midi output, you can't perform the part on the volca and record it into the daw for editing. You would have to perform it on something else or program it in the daw.

You have been really helpful indeed. I thought somehow that with MIDI output you can record the MIDI format, and then change something and do edits in within the DAW. But actually I noticed that the MIDI plug in the Volca is a MIDI INPUT non output, so probably you can plug some keyboard or something else. While for the output there is only that Headphones plug, so I would need a 3.5mm that splits to 1/4 L/R as you said, so I need an interface with 2 inputs at least because it's stereo, correct?
I have an audio interface with only 1 input atm.
Thanks a lot for the tips.
Glad I could be helpful! Nope, midi is just note data that tells an instrument or module what to play.

The midi input would be useful if you already have a midi keyboard. You could use the keyboard to trigger the sounds from your module. However, even then, you would still need the audio connections to record the module into your computer/DAW.

You don't necessarily need two inputs. You can send a stereo signal through a single TRS 1/4" cable as long as you're going to a balanced input. What interface are you using?

You don't necessarily need two inputs. You can send a stereo signal through a single TRS 1/4" cable as long as you're going to a balanced input. What interface are you using?
Sending a stereo signal via trs into a balanced input will not input stereo. It will most likely cancel everything panned center in the stereo image. (Depending on what method of balancing is used)

Don't confuse the type of connector with the type of signal it carries. Stereo and balanced aren't interchangable.

Sending a stereo signal via trs into a balanced input will not input stereo. It will most likely cancel everything panned center in the stereo image. (Depending on what method of balancing is used)

Don't confuse the type of connector with the type of signal it carries. Stereo and balanced aren't interchangable.
Wrong choice of words. I meant unbalanced. Yes, stereo inputs are unbalanced. Ultimately, it will depend on what his interface is as to what the results will be. My only point is that it would provide a solution in the interim until he upgrades the interface.

Wrong choice of words. I meant unbalanced. Yes, stereo inputs are unbalanced. Ultimately, it will depend on what his interface is as to what the results will be. My only point is that it would provide a solution in the interim until he upgrades the interface.
Either way, if you want to record in stereo, you need stereo input of some sort.
My interface is a basic 1 input Steinberg UR12, but I'm gonna buy a new one, I'm thinking about the Focusrite 2i2 or 4i4, not sure which of the 2 since I might need to reamp some tracks also.

Anyway I got it, It's fine I just need to go through the normal input, not the MIDI.
By the way, out of topic, anyone here has some knowledge about re-amping?
I just made a new post here.
Cool, cool! Reamping is fairly simple. First, you record your source clean and dry. Then, you would feed it back through an amp, guitar pedals, effects, etc. Using audio connections on the front end, you would record the signal with the effects added back into your DAW through an input or a mic. Reamping is a great method to really shape your sounds and capture the character of whatever gear you run it through. It's especially effective when you mix the original dry signal in parallel with the processed signal.

All that being said, if it were me, I wouldn't get the Korg. Also, I would only use reamping if I really wanted to get a specific sound that only a certain piece of gear could give me. Otherwise, I would address all of the above with plugins. The thing about reamping is that you're stuck with the signal you record and you can't adjust the effects after the fact without re-recording. That might alter the performance, so it's important to get it dialed in just right before recording it. If you do it in the box by adding plugins, you can always go back and adjust the effect anytime and preserve the original performance. As for the Korg, it's a great module. But, the sounds are easily reproduced with most VST synths. You could get all of the same sounds and TONS more with a VST like Vital, which is completely free. Honestly, the quality of the sounds in Vital would be an upgrade compared to that Korg. I'd think about going that route if it were me! Best of luck to you!

Cool, cool! Reamping is fairly simple. First, you record your source clean and dry. Then, you would feed it back through an amp, guitar pedals, effects, etc. Using audio connections on the front end, you would record the signal with the effects added back into your DAW through an input or a mic. Reamping is a great method to really shape your sounds and capture the character of whatever gear you run it through. It's especially effective when you mix the original dry signal in parallel with the processed signal.

All that being said, if it were me, I wouldn't get the Korg. Also, I would only use reamping if I really wanted to get a specific sound that only a certain piece of gear could give me. Otherwise, I would address all of the above with plugins. The thing about reamping is that you're stuck with the signal you record and you can't adjust the effects after the fact without re-recording. That might alter the performance, so it's important to get it dialed in just right before recording it. If you do it in the box by adding plugins, you can always go back and adjust the effect anytime and preserve the original performance. As for the Korg, it's a great module. But, the sounds are easily reproduced with most VST synths. You could get all of the same sounds and TONS more with a VST like Vital, which is completely free. Honestly, the quality of the sounds in Vital would be an upgrade compared to that Korg. I'd think about going that route if it were me! Best of luck to you!
I found out I don’t need to re-amp just to use the pedals effect at the end of the chain, I can just go from my interface output to the pedal input. Only if you are using a real amp you need to re-amp, but Im using an amp sim in my DAW for my guitar. I’m speaking about reamping my guitar not the korg of course.

That is correct. You got it! Using plugin sims is generally just as good as reamping. Depending on the recording setup, it can often be much better. I'd say in most cases reamping is just extra work.

Back