Do I need more?

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
I admit I once had a not so legal version of Cubase SX. I got me one of those Fireboxes that came with Cubase LE. Before I was using a ZOOM 1044 multitrack and I would sometimes import wave files and play around with them in SX. Once I got the Firebox I wiped the SX out of my system and installed LE and I have been happy so far. I may soon go with an upgrade to a more beefy version of Cubase but I don't feel limited yet by LE.
I went from a 4 track to a ten track digital stand alone to what I currently have now and this is by far the most extensive recording setup for me to date. I guess my point is, how much more control, plug-ins, or tracks do I need? My old 4 track had a great EQ section consisting of one low knob and one high knob. :D The stripped down Cubase LE has way more control than that.
I think I'm pretty cool with what I have. Do I need more?

EdWonbass said:
I admit I once had a not so legal version of Cubase SX. I got me one of those Fireboxes that came with Cubase LE. Before I was using a ZOOM 1044 multitrack and I would sometimes import wave files and play around with them in SX. Once I got the Firebox I wiped the SX out of my system and installed LE and I have been happy so far. I may soon go with an upgrade to a more beefy version of Cubase but I don't feel limited yet by LE.
I went from a 4 track to a ten track digital stand alone to what I currently have now and this is by far the most extensive recording setup for me to date. I guess my point is, how much more control, plug-ins, or tracks do I need? My old 4 track had a great EQ section consisting of one low knob and one high knob. :D The stripped down Cubase LE has way more control than that.
I think I'm pretty cool with what I have. Do I need more?

Apparently not. Don't let featuritis drive you - let your creativity drive your workflow.

EdWonbass said:
I guess my point is, how much more control, plug-ins, or tracks do I need?
You need only what you need. I have SE, which is similar to LE, but with a few more plugin spots. The 4-band parametric EQ is sometimes a limitation. However, you can purchase software EQs, so it's not really a big deal. The limitation on the number of insert and send plugins may be an issue. However, as long as you have empty tracks, you can render effects to a track and then reimport it and add more effects. This also applies to having send effects that are only used on a couple of tracks. Just export those tracks with the processing and reimport them. That will free up a couple of sends for new effects.

I think LE also has a limit on the number of VSTi's that you can use. If you're big into MIDI, this might be a problem. However, it doesn't sound like you've been troubled by this.

Overall, it sounds like you're pretty happy with your situation. You will know if you need to upgrade as you will be frustrated by not being able to do what you want.

So far I've only run into the problem of knowing there's so much out there and wondering if I need it all. ;)
I'm not really big into midi so I don't feel like I'm missing out there.

Thanks for the input guys.

EdWonbass said:
So far I've only run into the problem of knowing there's so much out there and wondering if I need it all. ;)

i've heard of this problem b4. some people would go as far as calling it a sickness or a disease.
it's called
GAS
(gear aquisition syndrome)

but don't fret, there is a cure.
it's a pill called GASEX
side affects include:
naseau, headaches, backpains, diarrhea, vomitting, dizziness, temporary loss of sight, baldness, hairy palms, stiff joints, sleep apnea, sleepwalking, tsunamis.
women who are pregnant, or who plan on being pregnant should consult their physician first.

GASEX WORKED FOR ME :D

Back