Do I need monitors for tracking

VirtualSamana

I share a rehersal space that I use to track guitar, drums, bass and vox. I have been using headphones and hi-fi speakers as references to record to make decisions like mic placement, gain levels etc. at the studio. I then bring my computer home to do the mixing/editing in my house where I employ jbl lsrp monitors. This seems to be working OK but are my recordings suffering as a result? Should I invest in an extra set of monitors just for tracking? (I don't want to schlep my monitors to the studio)

VirtualSamana said:
are my recordings suffering as a result?

Well, there's one really good way to tell:

Next time you employ this method, once you get your tracks home if you find yourself saying something along the lines of "What was I thinking? This sounds like complete ass. Why didn't I track this differently? Was I stoned or just plain deaf?"

. . . or similar exclamations, then chances are it's a good idea for you to address your monitoring situation while tracking.

If, on the other hand, you bring your tracks home and you're fine with how they were tracked, then it's likely your tracking/monitor situation is just fine.

Sometimes a little common sense can be your best ally -- and the simplest answer is often the best one.

I find monitors to be even more important durring tracking than durring mixing. How can you record exactly the right sound if you can't hear it?

Back