Do i need mixer for computer recording???

ujamaa7

I was wondering if i needed a mixer or not to record music into tracktion 2....I have pc with windows xp pro....I'm going to get m-audio delta 44 soundcard on tuesday. I'm trying to track out some recorded songs made with motif into tracktion.I was told that i needed a mixer and i was told that i dont need one. If i do need a mixer, would a 4 channel dj mixer work for what i want to do?? Basically i'm trying to track out pre recorded songs in audio and record new songs in midi.

I use Tracktion and have a mixer for monitoring purposes only.

By that I mean that if I want to monitor all 6 analog outputs of my Firebox at one time I need a mixer to combine them.

I don't record anything through the mixer, nor do I use it for mixdowns as I do all my mixing in Tracktion 'in the box' or '...the computer'.

For what you're doing a DJ mixer is not ideal, but it could be made to work as long as it allows you to monitor the four outputs of your soundcard. I would recommend something like this --- LINK --- just to have a stationary setup that you wouldn't be breaking up when you wanted to go DJ.

You can use your DJ mixer if it allows you to hear all four outputs from your soundcard.

DJ mixers are for DJing and traditionally lack eq and other functionality of audio mixers.

You can get by with your existing mixer, but it is not ideal for the job. If you have money to invest in your recording setup, get the mixer I linked in my last post. If not, make do with the mixer you already own.

So i do need a mixer is what u are telling me right?

It doesn't really sound like it. If you are only going to output 2 channels a mixer is not needed. If you want to output on all 4 channels of your Delta 44 you will need something to mix them together and give you a 2 channel output for your monitors...

It doesn't really sound like it. If you are only going to output 2 channels a mixer is not needed. If you want to output on all 4 channels of your Delta 44 you will need something to mix them together and give you a 2 channel output for your monitors...

you know, i've been looking at the delta 1010 and didn't even consider that. my recording software has a master channel for stereo out but that wouldn't do any good with the delta would it? i'm using a cheesy sb live card right now and haven't had to deal with that issue.

i suppose two sound cards could be used. the delta for recording and the sb for playback/monitoring.

not in windows...

really? bummer. i guess linux has spoiled me over the years. =]

ardour has the capability of routing any input to any output. i guess i assumed all of them could do it.

JACK is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Back