Do I need an amp?

LostBoy

Want to start recording but am not getting anywhere. Went to music store and they told me all I need is the interface, software, and monitors. So, I now have Cubase SE, M-Audio FireWire Solo and two monitor speakers. I have a mic and an electric guitar, but no amp anymore. Do I need an amp or can I just plug into the interface and play? Because so far I am not having any success

LostBoy said:
I have a mic and an electric guitar, but no amp anymore. Do I need an amp or can I just plug into the interface and play?

The M-Audio Firewire Solo has a 1/4 inch guitar input on the front. So, you can plug and play. The real question is whether it will sound good. I would guess that you'll get a pretty lifeless sound and you may be unhappy even applying effects in Cubase. If that's the case, your next alternative might be some type of direct box or direct box with effects like the Pod. The general consensus around here is that the Pod is a necessary evil if you have roomates, neighbors, etc. and can't play through an amp. Otherwise, your best bet is to do it the old fashioned way by micing an amp. Now, that doesn't mean you have to have a Marshall stack! There are a number of smaller, less expensive low wattage practice or recording amps that will work. Do a search on the guitar/basses forum for some suggestions. Two amps that seem to get a lot of positive reviews: Vox Pathfinder and the Fender Blues Jr.

dwillis45 said:
Two amps that seem to get a lot of positive reviews: Vox Pathfinder and the Fender Blues Jr.

You got that right. I picked up one of the VOX amps just for recording. The great thing is the effects are on the amp so no pedals are needed if your not big into computer effects. Great sound for the price!

I used to use my Boss GT-6 FX pedal which is cool for just messing around and you can get some great clean sounds ...however if you are after a heavy distorted guitar ....mic up an amp ....ever since i started micing my Marshall i've been getting some great distortion sounds ...... :)

yes!

Micing and amp and trying things out that way can be a lot of fun. If you get an amplifier with an Emulated Line Out for Headphones you can run a guitar cable out of that and into your choice soundcard/mixer/whatever. I do it sometimes and for me, it gets the job done.

Back