Do I need a power distributor?

magic_joel

If my rack gear (for now) consists of a Motu 8pre along with a Behringer ADA8000, do i need a power distributor like the Samson Powerbrite PB10?

Or is it redundent? when it comes to rack gear i have very limeted knowledge!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

i have a problem to the extent that plug sockets are limited, and would getting something like this mean i can just plug that in then power eveyrthing else via that?

Yeah, they're very convenient--especially if they have their own power switch. You can plug your other stuff into it, leave it on, and just turn it all on and off with the one power switch on your power unit.

I'm running 2 mixers, a rack eq, a pre amp, a synth workstation and amp. Is old spice hair and body wash right for me? I mean do I need a power distributor? Havent had any issues yet, but could it lessen any signal noise due to current or anything like that?

those aren't anything but rack mount powerstripps... so dont expect anything but the ability to plug in... i have to admit i have one from DBX in my live rig... just for the lights and the fact that i'm using alotta DBX gear in there... pre/comp/Xover... and looked good even if it doesnt do anything...

I have an ETA-systems one (it calls itself a power conditioner, but at most its a surge-protector w/ circuit-breaker) but its really convenient. If I take my PC for location recording (which I'm doing more because I don't trust my laptop so much) I can run my PC, monitor, and whole rack from one plug :).

In fact I did a local gig once where we were running short of 'power distribution', a.k.a. plug strips, so I ran the A&H desk and three racks of outboard from it :D. Please no-one with electrical knowledge (or even some basic common sense) tell me how stupid that was! Nothing died though. I certainly wouldn't run power-amps or anything through it.

Back