Do I need a power conditioner?

SappyHad

Hello I'm just wondering if I should get a Furman power conditioner for all my outboard gear and my siab. Is it important? Does it make a difference?

May be a dumb question but i'm kind of a newbie :D

Any input would be great

Also how about a 2 channel eq 15 band is this necessary? In the past I have used eq on vocals and acoustic guitar that were on my cheap behringer mixer, and i'm wondering if a seperate unit would be an improvement?

Thanks

Eric J.

im going to get a power conditioner rackmount power strip for my recording setup.... now only will they protect your equipment against power surges but they are supposed to "clean" your ac power.... how much they actually do i do not know, but i know a good clean, solid electrical level is optimum for electronics.

so i havent helped out much have i? im getting one for my rackmount so only one cable has to come out of it.

I've used a cheap Art 4X4 power conditioner in my rack for a couple of years. Usually plug most stuff through it. In most situations, no noticeable sound quality difference with it or without it (although it's still valuable for protecting the gear from power surges). But it was a lifesaver last New Year's Eve, when we played a large party. The keyboard amp and power amp had not been plugged in through the power conditioner, and there was a terrible hum. Apparently the wiring was faulty. We plugged everything into the conditioner and the hum went silent. Saved the gig. Get one!

yes, with the more outboard gear and power cables you get, there are more possibilities. Definatley get one, it may save you from some trouble some day that you didnt even know existed.

as for the graphic EQ, that is a big NONO. For recording, you want a parametric EQ. With these, you can, set up high pass, low pass, etc. There is a really good article somewhere about this. I will try to find it and post later.

Especially when they have cool lights to illuminate your rack. I'm getting one pretty soon as I know the mains in my house is very old and not perfectly regulated etc.

He makes a valid point. Even though the guy shares his initials with Burger King, I wouldn't have expected him to be the materialistic type :)

Yeah, they're definitely worth looking at. Back when I was young and ignorant (wait I still am...) I thought that I could get a power strip with a surge protector and I'd be set. Then I read this in TapeOp:

"The lowest cost approach to power distribution in your home recording studio is to use a stout surge/spike suppressor in a power control strip to protect the equipment downstream. This is a device that sits by idly monitoring the power line for power surges (a higher voltage increase over a short time period) and power spikes (a very high voltage increase over a very short period of time), and when it detects them, it very quickly suppresses or absorbs the increased energy before it can do damage to the equipment connected downstream. The component inside the suppressor that absorbs this energy is called a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor). Generally, the ability to absorb this increased energy is given by the Joules rating of the suppressor. The higher that rating, the better the suppressor is able to absorb or suppress the energy spikes. There is just one problem with the MOV suppressor approach, however. Once it detects and absorbs an abnormal amount of energy in a spike or surge, then the MOV is effectively burned out and no longer functions in a protective mode! (In this regard, it burns out just like a fuse, but still allows the power to come through.) If you've had a surge/spike suppressor with MOVs plugged into the AC power mains for several years, chances are good that it isn't doing the job anymore. In fact, it might have burned out two hours after you originally plugged it in! "

Scary huh?

While that is true about the $1.50 surge protectors, there's also a light with a fusee that should have a similar failure level. Or at least that's the theory.... That said, I guess they're probably better than nothing... slightly....

IMHO, a better idea is a UPS. They often have non-MOV surge supression mechanisms that don't have the burn-out problem, and if they do burn out and you lose some attached gear, they usually provide a fairly decent guarantee as far as replacing equipment connected to them. Even better, if you're doing computer recording, it will protect from blackouts, something that a line conditioner won't do. If your supply power is particularly electrically noisy, you might consider buying a high end UPS with built-in line conditioning.

As for line conditioners in general, with modern equipment, it should make no detectable difference (beyond the protection from damage). Electronic equipment down-converts your AC house current to DC prior to actually using it. Generally speaking, any noise in the AC house current should be reduced to an undetectable level in the process, assuming the power supply portion is properly shielded from the rest of the device.

My gut feeling WRT Harplover's gig was that you had a ground loop between two outlets on different circuits, and by plugging the additional gear into the conditioner, that was no longer the case. That said, it is more plausible for line noise to affect the output of a power amp than other equipment, mainly because I've never been inside a power amp that didn't make me want to cry at the lack of shielding. Of course, on the flip side, it might say something about the quality of the gear that I've had to get inside them to begin with, so take that with a grain of salt.... ;)

dgatwood said:
As for line conditioners in general, with modern equipment, it should make no detectable difference (beyond the protection from damage).

A high quality conditioner will usually give an increase in signal to noise ratio.

Most of the Furman rack mount type are not true conditioners. Power conditioners are usually very bulky and some are pretty noisy. Check out the used Topaz conditioners on Ebay if you want a true conditioner.

So what do people recommend? As I collect more and more rack gear, im running out of outlets, using power bars im not 100% comfortable with, and starting to notice some occasion hum here and there. Which models are glorified power bars, and which are a step up?

To followup on TexRoadKill's good post:

Most of the units being discussed in this thread are not power conditioners. The ART 4X4 is not a power conditioner, for example, which is one reason why you didn't hear any difference when you added it to your setup.

A power conditioner takes the incoming power and *reconditions it* to output a clean signal, with a perfect waveform. The cheap power strips don't do that, and neither do basically any unit that claims only EMI repression, surge protection, that kind of thing. It's just a power strip in a rack case, not much different from the plastic ones you buy for home office/computer use, and not any better except for the convenience factor.

This comes up fairly frequently on message boards, the confusion about what is a power conditioner and what isn't. EMI repression, surge protection, that's not power conditioning, no power conditioning is occurring in those units at all, sorry.

A real power conditioner is big and heavy, expensive, usually has a slight buzz sound to it due to the transformer, and actually cleans up the electrical waveform itself.

Cold you go into detail past the rather vague "a conditoner *reconditions*?" explanation? Just saying it louder doesn't make it easier to understand. :)

Whoops- I found the website. They have conditioners, to reduce noise, regulators, to regulate voltage, and combo units, as well as UPS devices.

I would (respectfully) submit that reducing RF interference is definitely a component of power conditioning. A power conditioner that offers only RF reduction at least does that, and RF is the top of the list in terms of noise that most of us have to deal with.

Last edited:
boingoman said:
Whoops- I found the website. They have conditioners, to reduce noise, regulators, to regulate voltage, and combo units, as well as UPS devices.

If you don't mind....what's the URL of that website? Thanks

OneRoomStudios said:
If you don't mind....what's the URL of that website? Thanks

*Sigh*
Ok. I'll look again. It took me fifteen #@$#@$# minutes the first time, though. :)

They make heavy-duty shit that seems to have been originally intended for medical equipment, which requires the highest quality filtering and regulation.
Now available to home wankers like us through the miracle of ebay.

p.s. thanks for the heads-up, tex.

http://www.mgeups.com/

notbradsohner said:
as for the graphic EQ, that is a big NONO. For recording, you want a parametric EQ. With these, you can, set up high pass, low pass, etc. There is a really good article somewhere about this. I will try to find it and post later.

I agree parametrics can typically be more useful than a graphic EQ but a graphic is by no means a no-no. Graphic eq's can be really easy to dial in and their narrow bandwidths can be great for notching more specific frequencies.

I would buy a parametric before a graphic, but both are useful.

War

Back