Do I need a headphone amp?

Dire Wolf

All my recording is overdubbed. First rhythm, then lead, then vocals. Problem: when I play back the recorded tracks through headphones they sound very faint. My "live" track drowns them out and I get off rhythm. When I play everything back through my powered monitors, levels are okay, but the damage is done.

Since I am relying on the output of my mixing board to power the headphone signal, am I expecting too much? Do I need to boost the headphone signal with an amp? Or do I have something hooked up wrong?
Thanks!
DW

you may have something hooked up wrong. your board should come with a headphone output. what kind of board do you have, and where are you plugging your headophones into?

ametth

Headphones plugged into headphone output on mixer.
Tape output plugged into tape returns on mixer.
Live track plugged into mixer mic inputs.
Pre-recorded tracks are faint, even with levels turned all the way up. Meter levels are okay. Playback through monitors is okay.
I have a Soundcraft 200 mixer and a TASCAM 80-8 reel to reel deck. Your help is appreciated!
DW

Hey, I have a 32-ch. Soundcraft 200B and a TSR-8 & ADAT-XT. Why are you using the Tape Returns for "from the TSR-8"? Why not use the Line Inputs on the channels? Not only that, then you have the same mix as your monitors. If you absolutely need a seperate mix, you'll have to use your AUXES; but you'll need a headphone amp.

Ummmmmmmmmm....wait a sec guys....

The tape returns on mixers are there for a very good reason. That is because these inputs only use a OP amp, as opposed to the Line input, which is usually a side chain on the mic pre amp with a pad on it. This is not where you want to be returning recorded tracks to the mixer. You don't NEED a preamp on most line level signals.

The reason both are provided on a recording console is so that you have a way to work with line level signals and send them to the recorder, and be able to monitor that signal on a different buss.

OP amps provide far less coloration on the sound then mic preamps, or in this case, a line preamp so to speak does.

Running your recording machines outputs to a consoles inputs should be avoided at all costs unless that is the only way you can return the signal.

Most recording consoles provide a trim control for the tape return circuit.

Ed

Thanks, guys! Now I am learning something! Okay, so I plug tape output into the line in on the mixer. Then I assume I have the benefit of the mic pre-amp to boost the signal. Brilliant.

Next question: will the monitor (or headphone) levels be independent from the record levels? Like I said, during overdubbing I will set the various signal levels to suit my needs, but will probably need different levels during playback and mixdown. Right? Should I just rely on the faders and leave the monitor/headphone volume knob alone, or vice versa?

Thanks for your help and patience with my slow learning curve.
DW

Ahh yes, the benifits of inline consoles... but...

A lot of live/recording boards I've seen only have 8 Tape Returns; which are usually used as Aux Returns. What if you have more than 8 tracks to mix and monitor? Even then with only 8 tracks, you get 1 Aux Send )for headphone cue), but no EQ (unless really fancy/expensive), and a pan pot (if you're lucky).

My 32x4 Soundcraft 200B is set-up this way and I would take it over a Mackie inline 8-bus any day.

Hell. It doesn't even have Direct Outs as a Mackie inline 8-bus would have; and I still like it a lot better.

I can deal with these "not so great features" considering how much better it sounds than a Mackie 8-bus; in my opinion.

Uhhhh, thanks guys (I think).

Both of you make good points. I will continue to experiment. However, since the Soundcraft 200 board is a split console, I have to run the tape deck outputs to mixer inputs for EQ during mixdown. Is this your experience, Recording Engineer? The output section of the mixer does not have EQ. So I am inclined to leave the tape outputs set up that way and live with the coloration that Sonusman pointed out.
Thoughts?
DW

Are you guys sure that the console doesn't have a little switch at the top that reroutes the tape returns on the channel to the main channel strip? My Ghost has that. Then, the line input, which is part of the mic pre amp circuit is routed to the mixB volume knob.

Check it out.

Ed

Back