Do I need a direct box for this?

Ultron

for recording: bass -> Tampa Preamp/compressor -> m-audio dman input.

I have a VHT valvulator buffer that I can add to the front of the signal, if that would help. Just wondering if I need a direct box.

while I probably wouldn't put the tampa on list of DI's theoretically it should have options to be able to accept passive guitar/bass signal

set input selector to instrument and dial up impedance setting that seems to work best

generally speaking (unless one is seeking specific FX function) I'd avoid another active (valvulator) device in the signal chain

i dont know that preamp... but if it has a hi-z input.. you're golden...

two thumbs up for what he just said!!!!!

If your preamp doesn't have HI Z inputs then you will Probably need a DI. I would reccomend maybe setting a mic two to maybe four inches from the center of your speaker cone on your bass amp. Run the same chain, just use a mic, instead of plugging things in. Just a suggestion though!!!!

CHEERS!!!

for recording: bass -> Tampa Preamp/compressor -> m-audio dman input.

I have a VHT valvulator buffer that I can add to the front of the signal, if that would help. Just wondering if I need a direct box.

"...if that would help."

If that would help what? Is there a problem you are trying to fix? Do you want to add stomp boxes or something? Or do you seek better signal quality?

The Tampa does have a DI/instrument in. That should be all that you need to get a clean recording.

Back