Do I need a DI box?

McShredsAlot

I've read many threads on here an ultimate metal about DI boxes. It seems like quite a bit of people plug their guitar in to a DI box, then run the DI box in to their interface. I'm just curious. Does it really make that big of a difference? My interface is a Presonus 44vsl. If I get a DI box to run in to it, will it make the signal better? Basically I'm wondering if its gunna make my guitar/tones sound better when in using amp sims. Thanks!

Not if you're after real life tube based saturation, compression & distortion.
For everything else they're fine - I have 2 or 3.

Now you need a new thread about passive & active DIs.

Not if you're after real life tube based saturation, compression & distortion.
For everything else they're fine - I have 2 or 3.

Now you need a new thread about passive & active DIs.

I'm assuming that "real life" is referring to actual hardware units? All I know about DI boxes is my old band used some live for extra lead harmonies. Not sure how well they are in the recording context.

Your Presonus has high impedance instrument inputs. No need for a DI. For the most part it would only add noise.

I am running Reaper on a MacBook Pro, into a Mackie 1220 Onyx. Running a bass directly into the 1/2 channel does not detect any signal. I have a couple ancient ART Pro Tube DIs, and tried running thru one of them to channels 3/4: signal is weak but discernible, but if I move the bass close to the mixer it squeals. I would like to believe a better DI - e.g. a Whirlwind - will solve my dilemma. What are the chances the issue is with the bass?

Anybody? Thanx in advance - Cal

I am running Reaper on a MacBook Pro, into a Mackie 1220 Onyx. Running a bass directly into the 1/2 channel does not detect any signal. I have a couple ancient ART Pro Tube DIs, and tried running thru one of them to channels 3/4: signal is weak but discernible, but if I move the bass close to the mixer it squeals. I would like to believe a better DI - e.g. a Whirlwind - will solve my dilemma. What are the chances the issue is with the bass?

Anybody? Thanx in advance - Cal

"if I move the bass close to the mixer it squeals." ???? That makes no sense. Do you mean you get feedback from your monitors if you do this?

No signal from the bass - do you have the little button directly below the instrument jack pushed in? Have you verified the bass is putting out a signal (plug into an amp)?

Back