Do I Invest In Monitors Or Other Kit?

guitar-dave

Im just starting to get into home recording, and so far have a P4 3Ghz PC fitted with an EMU 1212m sound card. I am looking at just getting to know the basics by recording electric guitar/vocals and experimenting with effects,EQ and mixing techniques etc. The listening equipment I currently have is:

Old pair of Sony closed back DR-S5 headphones (ok but uncomfortable)
Cheapish Technics SA-EX140 Stereo Receiver with Mission 70 speakers
I also have a Roland VS 1880 18 track recorder which can double up as a mixer if needed.

I have considered the Tannoy Reveals, or Beyer 770/990’s for example. Will my Technics amp be unsuitable for passive monitors? If I go for active monitors how will I power my headphones?

My question is do I need better speakers? I’m not doing any major projects, just messing about in my University room (roughly 4 x 2.5 large paces). I obvoiusly need some speakers to hear what I’m doing, and headphones if I want to do any recording / tracking at night. If you guys think that my speaker set up is sufficient for what I’m doing, I would rather spend the $270 dollars I have at the moment on expanding my kit list (maybe on a mic or something) Where is the weakest link in my chain that I could spent the money on?
Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Dave

Back