Do i hook my mic pre into the mic input in the mixer?

Yes, best to use the line input, otherwise you're defeating the purpose a bit.
Also, the preamp doesn't convert the signal in any way, it just amplifies it.

Mark

mizchif, I dunno what you're recording on, but I take the output of my mic pre straight into my recording input. The pre already raises the signal to line level and I don't need additional noise from a mixer.
-kent

I agree... use the line input on your sound card. Your mic pre does what the mic input would be doing--the mic input has a built-in pre.

I don't know what card you have, but I know that the SoundBlaster mic inputs tend to sound pretty dang lousy, even to my inexperienced ears. Their line inputs are more usable, but not of pro or audiophile quality.

I actually have a delta 66
but i alos have an audio buddy that i was gonna run through a mixer

so it would be like this
mic-pre-mixer-card

I wanted to put the pre through the mixer first so i can get the eq'ing and stuff goin on

but maybe that might be a bad idea

what would be the right way to run this setup
possibly not use the mixer at all??

I am recording into nuendo so i can probably do eq'ing and stuff in there

Usually you run the pre either directly into the recording device, or into some outboard equipment (like compressor or eq) and then to the recorder. The output of each channel of the recording device can then be sent to a mixer for monitoring and setting up cue mixes. If you don't have individual track outputs on your card, then you may be forced to go to the mixer first. In which case, definitely use the line input.

Besides getting a cleaner signal path, the other advantage of having your mixer AFTER the recording device, is you are monitoring what is actually being recorded. If the tape/recorder is last in the chain, you will not be able to hear what is actually on the tape - and may miss some distortion or other bad stuff introduced by the mixer until it is too late.

knownuttin said:
mic pre to card.

Do your eq and stuff in the software realm. Thank me in your grammy speech.
-kp

I think i'm the one that "knownuttin"

lol
thanks for the info guys

Back