Do I have to upgrade to 24 bit version?

J Wah

I just installed a Delta 44 and when I play a song that I recorded with my old card I get a lot of clicks and a message box that tells my I have the 16 bit version and it doesn't supoort 24 bit play back. Can I play 16 bit with the 44?

Well I checked the Fasoft site and I guess I do have to upgrade to 24 bit with a 24 bit card. So I down loaded the demo. It said 24 bit playback was limited to 25 seconds. The demo version still had the clicks and skips and then stopped playing after the 25 seconds.

The only place I have seen a selection for bits is in the settings of the recording vu meter. The demo, like my 16 bit registered version, only lists "force 16 bits" which I tried checked and unchecked. I have read that you should check "24 unpacked left justified". I assume this option comes withthe 24 bit version. So is the demo not 24 bit?

I am using ASIO driver and very high buffer. Playing 10 tracks with some plug-ins. 7200 hd for recording only. CPU usage about 50%. Never had a hiccup playing this with my old card. Sure would like to get rid of the skips before I buy 24 bit version.

Any thoughts?

you can still use the 16 bit version but you have to check off 16 bit recording......

i think the skips and clicked are unrelated issues, probably a buffer problem....

Hmmmm...

Buffer in n-tracks is set to very high. Buffer in Delta setup is 2112 or something close to that. I checked the IRQ and there were a few things on the IRQ with the soundcard. So I disabled my serial port, usb, and made available an IRQ that was reserved for legacy something or another and reinstalled the card on a different PCI. IRQ for Delta is now 03. This IRQ also has "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering". I don't know what this means but the Delta book says this is normal. Still have the clicks. :(

If the tracks I am trying to play were recorded with a 16 bit sound cards, why would n-tracks say 24 bit playback is not supported when I try to play them with a 24 bit card?

Back