Do different Audio Interfaces make noticeably different sounds?

jigfresh

Enjoying life
So my question is in your experience do different Audio Interfaces make noticeably different sounds? Here's where I'm coming from, I was using an Avid MBox 3 for a few weeks, then picked up a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. I don't think there are any different settings in my DAW (cubase 7) as far as amp sims or anything really. I tried to duplicate everything. Same settings on my guiltar, same guitar, etc. I'm playing my guitar direct into the AI.

Here are two clips... to me the first sounds SOOOO much better than the second. The first is the Mbox , the second the KA6.

https://soundcloud.com/jigfresh/direct-my-first-recordings

https://soundcloud.com/jigfresh/3-21-clip

The reason I am asking if it's the AI's is because I still have both, but was about to sell the MBox. If there is no way it's the AI's and it's just something I'm doing with gain somewhere, or settings, or whatever... that's fine. I'll sell the MBox and track down my issues. Just don't want to let a piece of hardware go that sounds better than the one I am keeping.

Oh yeah... and one other difference is the first was exported from cubase as an mp3, the second as a wav. However, both the mp3 and wav are pretty accurate representations of how the music sounds in the DAW playback. So I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm well aware I need to practice playing the guitar, haha. :)

Wrong man. Sorry, there is not much that can be judged with two completely different export formats. And if I read it correctly, the Mbox MP3 sounded better than the NI wav export? That does not seem right at all.

Are you sure you have the same input settings for each? It obviously isn't. And by the way, the tone going into both sounds crappy to start with. That is what you should really start addressing. No offense, but that is where it all begins man.

:)

No offense taken. I appreciate the orientation to where I am in the process. I'll sell the mbox as planned and keep learning. Thanks.

and sorry for being a little bitch before.

The first clip was slamming -3dBFS . Now I don't know if the original .wav* was that hot? If so I think the interface might have been clipping a bit, it should not have but who knows?

The second track was struggling to reach -25dBFS, closer to the optimum of -18dBFS but of a distinctly different character. To my old ears they were both just bad, sorry.

In future, if you are going to send in diagnostic clips they need to be gain matched. Not to 0.01dB, we can tweak them a bit, but to 2 or 3 dB at least and well down the scale!
There is never any need to record overdriven guitar at near peak level, keep it at neg 18.

Also, for quality checks use a quality source! A nice clean voice recording. If you are too shy to sing. "Mary had.." or "Eskimo Nell" will do! Can't judge ***t from a distorted mess.

*And can I PLEASE have an answer as to why we can't attach very short, 10meg say. .wavs here? These are the audio world's standard for unforkedabout sound.

Dave.

And can I PLEASE have an answer as to why we can't attach very short, 10meg say. .wavs here? These are the audio world's standard for unforkedabout sound.

Dave.

I would love to give you an answer... I am just a moderator..

Attaching pictures has become a problem that the admins seem be unconcerned about....and you want WAV file capability?

:laughings:

When I want to attach WAV files, I just link them off my own website...and I use to do that with pics and anything else in the past, then they kinda made that available, but now it's not working right since some kind of patch/reconfig a week ago....I know it had to be one , because on two different computers my saved login info was gone, and I had to submit it again....which could only mean something was done at the server side...and after that, picture attaching became a PITA.

Attaching pictures has become a problem that the admins seem be unconcerned about....and you want WAV file capability?

:laughings:

When I want to attach WAV files, I just link them off my own website...and I use to do that with pics and anything else in the past, then they kinda made that available, but now it's not working right since some kind of patch/reconfig a week ago....I know it had to be one , because on two different computers my saved login info was gone, and I had to submit it again....which could only mean something was done at the server side...and after that, picture attaching became a PITA.

Ok, well I don't have a website. My frustration is that I can attach an MP3 that is BIGGER than a .wav. It is not file size that is the problem, simply the fact that it IS a .wav (e.g. you only need 10secs of hum for a diagnosis) .

I have never had a problem attaching pictures, .bmp, jpg etc? Again, some with more megabikes than a .wav noise clip.

Dave.

Hehe, no need to say sorry. I guess I should be the one apologizing for subjecting you guys to those clips.

I will check out what you talked about Dave. Thanks.

*And can I PLEASE have an answer as to why we can't attach very short, 10meg say. .wavs here? These are the audio world's standard for unforkedabout sound.

I think we discussed this before, Dave, a couple of weeks ago. The admins did not make wav files uploadable. If you want to post a wav file, put it up on a place like dropbox then post a link. Be sure to tell people the link is to a wav file because most people will not want to download them. Or, you can post an MP3 at 320kbps.

Ok, well I don't have a website. My frustration is that I can attach an MP3 that is BIGGER than a .wav. It is not file size that is the problem, simply the fact that it IS a .wav (e.g. you only need 10secs of hum for a diagnosis) .

I have never had a problem attaching pictures, .bmp, jpg etc? Again, some with more megabikes than a .wav noise clip.

Dave.

An MP3 of hum still sounds like hum. wav file is just overkill for such a sample IMO. And at limitations of the site, allowing a 5 second wav file seems a bit silly to me. Especially when it is almost painless to use Dropbox if one feels it necessary.

Back