DMP3 vs RNP

still4given

Got my ticket!
I have a DMP3 and a Mackie 1604 VLZ that I presently use for my mic pre needs. I've been thinking about upgrading and am wondering if the RNP will give me a noticible improvement over what I have. Also wondering about the RNP/RNC combo with the rack mount from mercenary.

Thanks, Terry

I don't know that it's necessarily a big step up from the DMP3 to the RNP.

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of guys saying "Oh yea, it is. I just recorded a bunch of gerbals mating last month with my dmp3, but couldn't believe the difference it made when stepping up to the RNP" and bla-bla-bla-ba. :D

That said, it is a difference I can hear, but it's something I'm going to have to listen to really closely and critically before I can even detect what it is that is different about one from the other.

maybe try recording 16 tracks of gerbils mating with both and compare......

As interesting as that would be to hear . . . :D

I'm sure the RNP is a step up over the long haul, and McQ is an absolutely amazingly professional and innovative designer/engineer.

The biggest difference you'll hear is the top end extends all the way out as far as it can go. That's one thing I've noticed, and that stands out about stuff I've heard tracked with it. And it seems like other people have had similar observations.

YEP

Chessrock is right on. (and so is Gidge).
I have both and the RNP is better in subtle ways that make more a difference in a whoppin' stack of gerbil sounds more than on just a few tracks of the. (except I only have prairie dogs sounds to extrapolate from).

One thing that comes to mind perhaps more important than the sound issue is the RNP does have more headroom, which is particularly noticeable when tracking things like a drum kit or close miced timbales or congas.

Would I pehaps be better off getting a different pre that offers maybe a different "color" to the sound than the RNP? I really not looking for subtle though I suppose that may be all I can expect from mic pre's. Am I right in assuming that the DMP3 and the RNP are similar in "color", i.e. fairly clean and transparent? Would I be better off maybe with a VTB1 or or something? Any other suggestions in the $500 range that might give me a better alternative to what I have?

Thanks, Terry

still4given said:
Would I pehaps be better off getting a different pre that offers maybe a different "color" to the sound than the RNP? I really not looking for subtle though I suppose that may be all I can expect from mic pre's. Am I right in assuming that the DMP3 and the RNP are similar in "color", i.e. fairly clean and transparent? Would I be better off maybe with a VTB1 or or something? Any other suggestions in the $500 range that might give me a better alternative to what I have?

Thanks, Terry

As the happy owner of 2 VTB1's I'd say it won't add any color. The VTB1 should be quieter than the DMP3, but unless you do a close and immediate A/B comparison, I wonder if you'd know or care about the difference. That may sound like heresy, but it's just a point of view. With the VTB1 you can dial in a tube circuit that my son likes to add to his voice (very subtle, but there). I wouldn't call this color though -- more like additional presence...

Between the lines, it seems you're looking for something missing in the vocals dept? Would a different mic make the difference you're after more than a different pre?

Don't know if this helps, but I have the M-Audio Omni, with DMP2 pres, and I just acquired an RNP/RNC combo. Tracked some vocals with it for the first time last night.

To my untrained ear, the vocals weren't AMAZINGLY better or different. But they were slightly clearer, and the high end seems more present - which can be a good or bad thing.

Let me quickly add that I did no precise A-B testing. All the other acoustic tracks in the song were done with the Omni pres, and the difference didn't knock me out. It was subtle, but it was there.

Fab

After ready some of the replies, it occured to me that maybe the use of the term "upgrading" was a bit misleading. I'm not sure I have the money to actually "upgrade" my equipment. What I think I really mean is add to what I have. I'm not really dissatisfied with what I have but would like to continue to add to, and thereby improve my equipment list. I guess I'm looking for a mic pre that will give me another good quality option to those I already have, not necessarilly to replace them. Hope that makes sense.

Blessings, Terry

My thinking, Still4given, was that the RNP would be a piece I would use from here on out. Same with the RNC. Since I don't record live drums, I will rarely NEED four preamps at once, but in those cases I now have them. And... it may be that on some source, the Omni pres will actually sound better than the RNP. But I'm not holding my breath!

Fab

The dmp3 is squeeky clean. If you're looking for a different color, I'm not at all sure that you're going to find it easily or inexpensively. If I already had two clean channels, and wanted something colorful to compliment it, I would probably look for a real tube pre like a Peavey VMP2 (ebay), or a Great River MP1NV from Fletcher (Mercenary) or Nathan (Atlas).

And if you happen to find a VMP-2 but decide against it, email me. :D I'm sure I could find a good home for it.

I am seriously considering selling my RNP, even though I love it, to put the money towards a power module and then buying two of the API style preamp from Old School Audio. If I sell my RNP, I can pretty much be in a pair of API's for $900, and then when I'm ready, another $450 puts me in another channel. Thats two of the clean style OSA preamps for overheads, and one of the "mutants" for snare, guitars, and whatever else comes along.
Seems like a super good plan to me.

ya know, the pres you have are pretty "usable" by most stretches of the imagination. not great, but not horrid, either. and the DMP3 is a pretty solid performer, period.

if you're looking for another "color" or "flavour", i'd suggest that instead of going with another pre (unless you need the channels), maybe you might want to try a different mic or compressor instead (assuming you already have a couple mics and comps to choose from, that is....if not, then you might want to go ahead and go down that road anyway).

just a thought.......

wade

Ive had the RNP for about a year and there is no competition under $1k. Not sytek. Not Grace. Certainly not the DMP3.
Any back to back test that doesnt involve at least 8 tracks is worthless IMO.
The beauty of the RNP is not in the extended top end, its in the tightness and TONE of the midrange in a dense mix. That tone does not get lost and the low mids stay tight and focused. Thats the real test of a preamp and a mic, speaker or pair of headphones.
Can you clearly discern notes in the lower octaves as the notes they truly are? Or are you identifying them by their harmonics in the upper mids. The top end part of a pre is a separate issue and an issue that is not as central to a mix as the mids and lows mids but the issue of tone is important there too. I think thats what most people are hearing when they decide which pre is 'clearer' ....by how much top end it has.
Its the same story with speakers or headphones or mics...can you hear tone as in actual notes from top to bottom? or does it get blurred on bottom or in the low mids. Marshall mics for instance have almost no tone below 500Hz. The bottom of the V67 is mud....you can barely discern a note whereas on an NTK you clearly can.

Thanks guys, all good points.

Let me try this angle. Here is a list of my mics and rack gear. If this is where you were at, gear wise, what would you get next that is in the $700 and under range?

Mics;
Shure KSM32
Shure SM58 - 4 each
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319
Marshall MXL 603 - 2 each
Oktava MK-012-01 - 2 each
MXL V57M

Mic Preamp/Mixer;
M-audio DMP3
Mackie 1604 VLZ

Compressors;
DBX 266xl - 2 each
Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400

Thanks, Terry

[Edit]

I forgot, this all goes into a Delta 1010.

Thanks again

Still4given,

As I said earlier, I'm liking the RNP. But.... have you considered another nice LDC, perhaps of the tube variety? It looks to me like the ones you have are of the cleaner variety - with the exception perhaps fo the 319, which I haven't heard but many perceive to be dark.

Would an NTK or a Marshall V69 make sense? Or a nice Groove Tubes mic?

Just a thought.

Fab

Fab,

Yeah, I'm always considering another LDC. I love those things. :D

Just checking my options and looking for some ideas. I've been working a lot of over time and so haven't been able to spend much time recording, so buying gear keeps the fires burning. :)\

Blessings, Terry

JuSumPilgrim said:
Marshall mics for instance have almost no tone below 500Hz. The bottom of the V67 is mud....you can barely discern a note

Not sure if I agree on the Grace or Sytek thing :D . . . but I'm with ya on the Marshall. Great description. Good to see you posting again, byw.

Yo forgiven! Looking at your list, I'd probably add one better main vocal mic or a kickass dynamic. Some of the following come to mind- Sennheiser MD441, Neumann TLM103, B.L.U.E. Dragonfly, Studio Projects T-3. Come to think of it, though, my best suggestion for the $700 is 2 mics- Rode NTK and Shure SM7B. That gives you a high end dynamic and a solid mid-priced tube mic, both with bizzillions of applications.-Richie

chessrock said:
Not sure if I agree on the Grace or Sytek thing :D . . . but I'm with ya on the Marshall. Great description. Good to see you posting again, byw.

Whats up, Chessrock.

I recall emailing you shortly after getting the RNP in the beginning of the year and saying that for the most part it was not a huge step up over the DI-port pres but alas a mix or two later I changed my mind. The depth, as in 3Dness (or lack of) and tone when distributed over several tracks just aint in the same class. The mindprint still owns the 2-4k range and if youre in a darkish low mid sounding room, they will rock your world. Otherwise, as far as mid mids, bottom and extended top goes the RNP wins all the way. Same goes for the Grace and Sytek. The Grace wins on imaging, as in any distance micing. But tonewise its bland and clean and not 'enriched' like the RNP. The Syteks sound slighty smaller and more closed than the RNP. I suppose some would call that more 'neutral.'

:)

Back