dmp3 vs audiobuddy?

usernamebob

Obviously the dmp3 has metering which would be usefull, and the seperate phnatom power controls. But in terms of straight out audio quality, is there much difference?

I don't know about the difference in sound but I can say I really like my DMP3 (I like my Sytek more now). It's been useful for me to get started recording and I still like to bring it out for live recording. I haven't really found the meters to be all that useful though. I think it looks cooler and lets be honest, that's the most important thing right? ;)

I've used both units extensively, and there are differences. The DMP-3 produces a little more gain, and is audibly cleaner. The audiobuddy also produces phantom power that is a bit shy of 48v. I us the audiobuddy as part of a mobile rig built around a Korg PXR4 Pandora. The DMP-3, however, is the preamp of almost last resort in the studio. When I'm using the Avalon, the twinQ, and all 4 channels of the Digi002, the DMP-3 comes next, and it's really pretty good. For what it is, though, the Audiobuddy is pretty amazing.-Richie

Have to disagree, usernamebob. I would describe the Focusrite pres in the Digi002 as "adequate auxiliary" pres. In other words, when the main pres are occupied with critical sources, I use the Digi002 for additional percussion tracks.
Would I call them awful? No. I do have a DBX386, though, which I pretty much use for- nothing.-Richie

Back