dmp3 v. Rane MS1b

royharper3220

Ok I need one more mic-pre channel. This will be used for AC Guitar only, mostly a ADK Hamburg.I already have a dmp3 for my 603s. So do I get the Rane MS1b or another dmp3? I think they are the same price, but is the Rane twice as good per channel?I'm just thinking what if I need another channel. If there is not a noticable difference this is a easy decision.what would you do?

Pres are like ice-cream. There are lots of flavors. If you are adding budget pres, get some different ones. I own a DMP3, but not the MS1B. Both are reputed to be fairly "clean" sounding. If you want to add something a little more "colored", look into the SP VTB-1. It has a clean solid-state pre with a blendable "toob" to add some additional "warmth" and "presence." I use it primarily for vocals, but I imagine it would do well on guitar as well. It really brought new life to some of my inexpensive condensers.

I know they are both clean and I would consider that the same flavor. I definitly dont need a pre colored with more midrange.The ADK isnt the brightest mic and my guitar is mohogany topped.
I would like to get the Rane just to have something different but I dont know if its worth giving up the extra channel.

royharper3220 said:
I know they are both clean and I would consider that the same flavor. I definitly dont need a pre colored with more midrange.The ADK isnt the brightest mic and my guitar is mohogany topped.
I would like to get the Rane just to have something different but I dont know if its worth giving up the extra channel.

How about a Rane DMS 22, which is two MS1-b pres in a rack mount config, with eq (parametric mid, and stereo summing bus. They show up used on eBay every month or so, for between $150 and $175 or so. I pickup one up for $140 a couple of years ago.

roy, I think the Rane MS 1b is one the best budget mic pres for acoustic guitar. Excellent performance for that application. The MS 1b has a little more texture and "grip" than the DMP3 and will work great with the Hamburg on acoustic guitar - and vocals, too.

scrubs said:
Pres are like ice-cream. There are lots of flavors. If you are adding budget pres, get some different ones. I own a DMP3, but not the MS1B. Both are reputed to be fairly "clean" sounding. If you want to add something a little more "colored", look into the SP VTB-1. It has a clean solid-state pre with a blendable "toob" to add some additional "warmth" and "presence." I use it primarily for vocals, but I imagine it would do well on guitar as well. It really brought new life to some of my inexpensive condensers.

Hey Scrubs,

I have a DMP3, and use it for acoustic guitar and vocals. But I'm not yet satisfied with the vocal sound. Since you own both, do you think that the VTB-1 gives you an advantage for vocals over the DMP3?

omtayslick said:
Hey Scrubs,

I have a DMP3, and use it for acoustic guitar and vocals. But I'm not yet satisfied with the vocal sound. Since you own both, do you think that the VTB-1 gives you an advantage for vocals over the DMP3?

The variable tube blend give a certain "presence" to vocals by dirtying them up a bit. It is great on both dynamic and condenser mics. The lead vocals for both songs you can link to in my signature were recorded with the VTB-1 pre. I used the DMP3 for background vox, I think.

The VTB-1 is also one of the most feature laden pres at its pricepoint. It lacks the gain pad of the DMP3, but makes up for it with the tube blend, XLR out, variable impedance switch, and output gain knob.

really nice work, scrubs

What was your setup for those tunes? Vocal and acoustic mics, specifically, and what kind of guitar?

I know this isn't the place for critiques, but the drums in 'better' just aren't up to the quality of the rest of the recording. Great vocals and acoustic guitar, I even like the bass (and I'm a bass player). Didn't really care too much for the, well, I don't know what to call it except heavily tremeloed electric. I kinda get where you were going with that, I guess I just didn't quite care for the execution. Anyway, this is the sort of recording that makes an excellent demo. The songwriting and vocals are showcased perfectly. This is the kind of thing an A&R guy hears and says, OK, we recut this in our studio and we've got it. Of course, then you have to be willing to tour in support of it.

Good luck and keep up the good work so you can show us how it's done. :cool:

Cardioidpotent said:
What was your setup for those tunes? Vocal and acoustic mics, specifically, and what kind of guitar?

I know this isn't the place for critiques, but the drums in 'better' just aren't up to the quality of the rest of the recording. Great vocals and acoustic guitar, I even like the bass (and I'm a bass player). Didn't really care too much for the, well, I don't know what to call it except heavily tremeloed electric. I kinda get where you were going with that, I guess I just didn't quite care for the execution. Anyway, this is the sort of recording that makes an excellent demo. The songwriting and vocals are showcased perfectly. This is the kind of thing an A&R guy hears and says, OK, we recut this in our studio and we've got it. Of course, then you have to be willing to tour in support of it.

Good luck and keep up the good work so you can show us how it's done. :cool:

Hey, thanks for listening. I agree about the drums and have a new mix with real drums that will be forthcoming.

As for the setup:

Better
Lead vocal - Rode NT-1 - SP VTB-1
BG vox - MXL 990 - either VTB-1 or DMP3 (don't recall)
Guitar - Fender JG26SCE guitar - MXL 603s (pair) - DMP3

The other song had a NADY SCM 900 for the lead vocal (through the VTB-1) and I used the MXL 603s through the DMP3 for the BG vox

I also don't disagree with the poster who suggested saving up for a nicer 1-channel pre. There are some great units in the $400-$600 range (GT Brick, Grace 101, RNP) and even better ones over $1000. You'll have to decide when it's time to upgrade and how much preamp you really need for your recording situation.

I, for one, am pleased with the quality of some of the less expensive gear, but I drool over the big-name stuff, too.

I would like to get a nice pre.But my parents have been nagging me about how they're paying my tution and I'm blowin my money on guitars and gear.I just cant understand their logic.
I think I will go with the Rane, since the next pre upgrade is in the $400 range.

An NT-1? No F'in' way!

scrubs said:
As for the setup:

Better
Lead vocal - Rode NT-1 - SP VTB-1
BG vox - MXL 990 - either VTB-1 or DMP3 (don't recall)
Guitar - Fender JG26SCE guitar - MXL 603s (pair) - DMP3

The other song had a NADY SCM 900 for the lead vocal (through the VTB-1) and I used the MXL 603s through the DMP3 for the BG vox

Well, now I have to go away and rethink everything I thought I knew. :confused:

Dot said:
roy, I think the Rane MS 1b is one the best budget mic pres for acoustic guitar. Excellent performance for that application. The MS 1b has a little more texture and "grip" than the DMP3 and will work great with the Hamburg on acoustic guitar - and vocals, too.

Hi. I already have the Studio Projects VTB1 and Soundcraft M8 for my clean pres and am thinking about upgrading to either the DMP3 or Rane MS 1b for vocals. Would the Rane MS 1b be better than the VTB1, DMP3 and Soundcraft M8 for recording clean uncoloured vocals or would they all be about the same? I currently have a Rode NT1a and Studio Projects B1 and will be adding an Audio Technica 4040SM.

How would you rate these 4 pres for recording vocals?

Dude ... do you want him to enter a time warp and zap himself to the present time from 2005 so he can answer your question?

:D

If my opinion means anything, they're both good units for the price, but I think the Rane unit has a little something to it. Given the choice, I would take it to battle any day of the week.

Back